Joined The Gym!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SilverGirl Posts: 1517
Hey everyone. Ok .. I need a tip or two on what I will need for joining a gym. I have just filled out our application forms so will prob be starting next week. May seem like a silly post but I've never been a gym member before so dont really know what to expect. Hoping to use it mainly for the swimming pool so I have that side of things sorted, its just the clothes side of things for when I'm sweating like a pig trying to use the machines :o0 :o0 Is there anything in praticular I need? Only runners I own are DCs and dont think they will be suitable :o0
Paul-Hurley Posts: 221
If you plan on using the gym, I'd recommend you first buy a pair of comfortable runners. If you go to a shop like Champion Sports, they'll advise you on the best type of runners for your needs. Brands I like a lot are Asics, Puma and New Balance. There are lots of great deals on runners at the moment, with a lot of them on sale for half the usual price. I'd also recommend you book an assessment with a fitness instructor, during which they'll assess your fitness needs and goals, make a program for you and show you through all the exercises. Hope that helps. Best of luck! Paul
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
Heatons also have a good selection of proper running / gym runners and is great for cheap but decent enough gym clothes, they also have a good swim section as well. :wv
missfancypants Posts: 413
My advice is to try the classes at your gym - u may be intimidated to go at first but don't be - you will meet people there quite easily and get into a routine then of maybe doing a circut class on a Monday then maybe a bodyball class on a Thursday - I find it easier to stay motivated once I have my classes for the week worked out. Re. gym clothes anything goes - I wear tshirt and tracksuit bottoms and shorts aor three quarter length tracksuit bottoms for Spinning classes! Good luck :o)
mcgrathver Posts: 13
hope training is going well! I sometimes pick nice comfortable gym gear in TK maxx. U prob have already, but you get a programme from a instructor in the gym and write out your goals to keep you motivated and plan what days you are going to go during the week.
Thanks for al the help! Would never have thought of Heatons or TK Maxx for clothes .. good thinking. I'll be shopping this week :o0
Senorita Posts: 3413
Another tip is get yourself some good supportive underwear. A shock-absorber bra (or similar) is a must, as are comfy undies :-8 :o0 Towel, and a large water bottle. Bring your ipod just incase the music in the gym doesn't suit you, or bring earphones, if you want to watch/listen to the telly. I agree with the class suggestion. I do a class on a Monday, and I find it a great motivational start to the week.
In a way I am terrified of joining the gym .. I was VERY unfit! The thoughts of getting an assessment :eek . If only I could just do it all by e-mail and arrive in and know what to do :o0 :o0 Sports bra is a must for me .. big boobs :o0 :o0
Senorita Posts: 3413
[quote="EmmieLou":2hefyre6]In a way I am terrified of joining the gym .. I was VERY unfit! The thoughts of getting an assessment :eek . If only I could just do it all by e-mail and arrive in and know what to do :o0 :o0 Sports bra is a must for me .. big boobs :o0 :o0[/quote:2hefyre6] Please don't be nervous. Honestly, I felt the same when I joined up first, but it was the best thing I ever did. You won't know yourself in a few months.
Senorita .. thanks. I'll try not to be nervous but I know I'll be brinking it :o0 My H2B is joining with me, he cant wait! He's been a gym member before and loves it all.