just a quick q

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cookiemad Posts: 917
hey girls,just a couple of qs that i never thought of asking.was at my 38 week check up today and they thought babs was breach,had a scan turned out they were right,and am booked in for section next fri.was in shock with the news that i never even asked questions.first one,for a c section do u need ur waters broke and will they do that in theatre and will u get anset before its done???also will i still be able to brest feed and gat skin contact when its a planned section rather than emergency.and finally,how long will it be b4 i can drive again.thanks for yer help :thnk
Martiespride Posts: 997
i know the driving one.... you cant drive for 6 weeks. i dont think waters matter, sorry im not much help best of luck, you will be meeting your bambino very soon :lvs
hipbaby Posts: 4530
irst one,for a c section do u need ur waters broke and will they do that in theatre and will u get anset before its done??? They do this in the theatre you won't even be aware of it as you will be numb so you won't feel anything. While we are on the topic of feelings when they are taking the baby out you will feel a strong tugging sensation but no pain. Also they will bring you into theatre on your own first and administer the spinal block then once you are all prepared they will bring your dh in - remind them!!! also will i still be able to brest feed and gat skin contact when its a planned section rather than emergency. Tell the midwife who is with you that you plan to bf and that you want to have skin to skin contact. Also tell your dh to wear an open button shirt in case you can't have the skin to skin he will be able to and he will be the one with the baby for the first while. He will take baby back up to the maternity ward and will dress baby, its a special time that Daddy will have! Then you will be brought up after recovery. and finally,how long will it be b4 i can drive again. 6 weeks but if you feel better after 4 call your obs and see will he allow you to! HTH any other questions let me know- i have been through it twice!!!
thanks girls for yer replies,getting used dat babs will be here soon.just thinking of questions now dat im home.just worried now that i wont be able to bf babs if im been stitched up.also will the stiches dissolve or are they taken out??sorry bout qs,im really clueless :o0 :o0 :wv
candyfloss Posts: 704
OMIGOD!!! I never even thought about waters having to be broken with a c section, I just assumed it wasnt necessary and I'm a health professional. TG I read this post. I'm probably having a c section for medical reasons in end Aug, def decision still to be made. Thank you for asking the questions I would never even have thought to ask!! I feel sooooo clueless. Love the idea of DH doing skin to skin and dressing babs before I come up, so perfect. I start my antenatal course tmrw maybe that will enlighten me further!! Best of luck Ontheway, you'll be great, let us know how it goes.
hey,no probs,my dh thinks dat im overthinking the whole thing :o0 :o0 its just that i always thought i wd have natural birth and now dat has gone out the window.and imy next app is when i go in to have babs so have noone i can really ask.this website is a god send :o0 :o0 :o0
Martiespride Posts: 997
[b:lbbbmpjg]Thank you for asking the questions I would never even have thought to ask!! I feel sooooo clueless. Love the idea of DH doing skin to skin and dressing babs before I come up, so perfect. [/b:lbbbmpjg] thanks from me too for answering these, i havnt even thought about csections because i didnt even want to know about them. i love the skin to skin for hubby, god i need to stop this crying crack :o0
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Hi girls yes I know my dh loved that special time with the girls!! :lvs Re the stitches they will be taken out before you leave, it is literally pulled out but its a long thread and you feel a funny sensation but not really sore, i promise! And yes you will be able to bf, both my sister and sil had sections and both bf! Any other qs fire away!
thanks girls for all yer replies,it never entered my head about c section so am just trying to find out as much as i can.told my dh about skin contact wit his son(we found out its a boy}and he is so excited that his son will be here next wknd.he was actually in bed last nite making out his list of jobs to do be4 babs arrives ha ha :o0 :o0 i might add a couple of jobs to the list aswell :o0 i got arnica tabs yesterday and a bf pillow.so i think im all set.for those who had c sections,what things hepled ye or made life easier for ye and any tips on how to prepare for section and for after??thanks again :wv :wv i promise to stop overthinking soon :o0 :o0
oddwire Posts: 842
I had an emergency section - was the last thing I expected so was completely unprepared for it! I also breastfed, again didn't have time to think about it or how it would work after the section, I had told them before that that was my preference. With us, the baby was immediately taken to the next room to be checked out (as he was in distress), and when everything was ok they called my DH into them while I was being sorted out - they did skin to skin contact with DH by ripping the surgical gown open, pulling up his t-shirt and putting the baby on his chest. The midwife got our camera and took pics of all this, then DH brought the baby back in to meet me, and sat next to me with him while they finished up with me. Then we went into recovery room, I was put on my side and baby put up to me to feed - he latched on straight away and fed fine, so the three of us were left there to get to know each other. It was only after we were brought to the ward that he was taken to the nursery to be cleaned and dressed, DH was out getting bags from the car so the midwife said he should follow her down with a nappy and vest. Later on she came back to change his nappy again and showed DH how to do it and got him to do it - it was great to have him thrown in at the deep end like that and be stuck in straight away!! For the first night I wasn't able to lift the baby out of the crib so they gave me the option of either having him sleep in the nursery and they'd bring him down for each feed, or having him next to me and call them to come and take him out for each feed (which is what I did), and again they just rolled me onto my side for feeds until I was able to sit up myself. As regards having waters broke, I had that done before they decided to do the section and wasn't even aware of it happening. My stitch was also one big long one with a bead at one end that they cut off on the last day and just pulled the stitch out. Driving - 6 weeks seems like a very long time but four of them have passed now and I haven't missed it at all. Better to be out and about walking anyway! The only thing I can think of that bothered me after is that I couldn't wear the pyjama bottoms I brought in because the band sat right on the scar. I had a nightie for labour (never got that far!) that I wore for my hospital stay, and just put on the pyjama bottoms if there was a visitor coming in and I wasn't in bed. I've since read (on here) that people have stuffed their underwear with cotton wool or a maternity pad for comfort but I didn't think of this. If your PJs have a nice thick waistband then I'd say that'd be ok though.