Menu

Just Curious - Smokers amongst us? POLL

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I have given up (my 2nd time) and I'm 4 weeks off them now and plan to stick to it. Just curious do we have any other smokers in our midst? Not trying to get anyone to quit or preach, I swear... just nosey is all. I have a few options as I know some people don't view themselves as smokers but may smoke on occassion. As a point of interest - insurance companies view any use of tobacco, no matter how rare, as smoking. They can even ask you to do a continine test to prove it - although this is usually only if you are applying for a high level of cover. Just food for thought - those social ciggies may not be so worth it....
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Used to smoke but wasnt a very heavy smoker. Gave them up about 6 years ago and never looked back. My friend can have the odd social cigarette but it wouldnt be an option for me because I would be totally hooked again if I did that. Well done you on giving them up, you are over the worst now anyway!
Oh that's me too tinyfeet - I gave up in January and was doing great until a wedding in April. I thought I could handle a few ciggies with the drink but ended up having more as the days went by and was back to square one. This time I really want to kick the habit for good.
pixiechick Posts: 647
I gave up smoking over 2 years ago and I found it a lot easier than expected. I had never tried to before that and I was on nearly 20 some days. I know if I had one socially I would go back on them. I loved my smokes,I don't now though.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I started smoking when I was 12 :-8 probably only smoked a few a week but was a smoker since then. The only time I stopped was when I was in hospital for a few weeks when I was about 17. I was a full-time smoker - about 10 a day - up until September 11th when I got my BFP and I haven't smoked since! I'm very proud of myself as I just quit without any supports - other than moral support of course! I always said whenever I got pregnant I wouldn't be that person who continued to smoke so I really am very proud of myself! For anyone considering quitting my message is this: if I can do it anybody can do it! I'm not sure I would have been able to just quit unaided if I wasn't pregnant but had I have chosen to quit I wouldn't have tried to be a martyr and used something be it hypnosis etc!!
SunnyK Posts: 3834
Sober SunnyK - wouldn't touch a cigarette Drunk SunnyK - can't say no to a Consulate :cool Now if it was piddling rain outside I wouldn't be bothered going out for a smoke but on a walk from one pub to another or something I often like a few drags. Makes my hangovers so much worse though - it really isn't worth it!
Service Finder
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
i'd smoke about 10 a day, a lot more if i'm out drinking. have never tried to quit, and have no intention to yet, its my decision and the more people nag me to, the more i won't quit. i do be a bit demonic before i have my morning smoke, so if for some reason i cant smoke before work, i be horrible :-8
LastRolo Posts: 6892
ohsotired - well done on just giving them up just like that!! I'm a smoker, but not a heavy one. Might not even smoke 10 B&H a day...
[quote:2t9ceox8]Re: Just Curious - Smokers amongst us? POLL Post by moobride ยป 26 Oct 2011 10:18 i'd smoke about 10 a day, a lot more if i'm out drinking. have never tried to quit, and have no intention to yet, its my decision and the more people nag me to, the more i won't quit. i do be a bit demonic before i have my morning smoke, so if for some reason i cant smoke before work, i be horrible :-8[/quote:2t9ceox8] This was me! As stubborn as it may sound I wouldn't quit for anyone else but me. It had to be my decision. DH doesn't smoke, neither do my parents or siblings. I just had to reach that point myself. I hate to be pushed :-8 I'm not one of the evangelical former smokers - yeah it's great if you quit but I wouldn't put the hard sell on anyone.
Sodapop Posts: 3220
Non smoker here (never ever smoked - tried like one cig once and hated it) = My sister smoked her whole life from age 14 right up to 48 - she is off them 2 years - she is so proud of herself. She tried everything over the years to quit - didn't get past 2 months - this time, when her grandson was born she made the decision to 'not be a smoking grandmother' and that was that - she doesn't even fancy one now. My niece is a hectic smoker - gosh she could smoke a whole box of Malboro lights in one session - it's bad - everyone jokes how she spends the entire night in the smoking section. She gave up for 6 months and then suddenly she was on them again - worse than ever! She feels bad with every puff but she can't stop! when she was off them she said it made a huge difference - espeically when waking up and she could go longer in the gym (my sister said the same thing) but she just wont quit now - she thinks its keeping her thin - she is only a size 8/10 as it is!!