just found out im pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

aperature Posts: 280
hi girls, i just got married last week(!) and a couple of days beforehand did a pregnancy test and it was positive! to say this was a shock is an understatement, but we're getting used to the idea. My husband is excited but i'm more anxious about it all, i wasn't planning for this and don't really feel ready. but here we go...! so i need some advice, what do i do next? i've been feeling really sick and very tired,napping more than once a day. I made an appointment with my GP for Monday , so what should I expect on this visit? will he want to examine me internally ?? would love your advice as to say im in the dark would only be the tip of the iceberg! thanks x
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Ah first of all a huge congrats, I hope its a happy surprise for you both!! Your doc won't examine you internally all he will do is take your weight, bring a urine sample with you, do a blood test, do a general health check and thats about it. You will be asked about public or private and if you have any preference as to who you want to go with (moreso asked this if private) thats about it!! Hope sickness passes and congrats again!
octbride2007 Posts: 774
hi aperature, well duble congrats on the wedding & the pregnancy! some docs will do a pregancy test and take bllod pressure, mine did anyway. they ask if you wnat to go public, semi private or private. They will also ask if you wnat to do combined care, alternating your antenatal visits between your GP and the hosp. My doc just ran through what I can and cant eat or take and then they will give you a letter to make an apt with the hospital. Best of luck :wv
oohbaby Posts: 164
I was same as you, utterly clueless as am first of family and friends to be pregnant, but like the others have said they'll only do the very basic checks at the start. No need to worry about internals, i still havent had one! every time I see my doc now all he does is test urine, takes blood pressure, have a quick look at the baby on scanner (love that bit) and off i go. Main thing to avoid foodwise is shellfish and soft cheese, ive certainly been eating everything else! and dont worry cos people will guide you along as you go, cant be expected to know everything (or anything in my case!) Im sure it seems scary. we were trying for a baby for about 16 months and still when it happened i was in shock and denial for a while so perfectly normal, esp as you werent planning on it. Hope it all goes well for you. There are thousands of books out there but one that i found quite good is The Irish Pregnancy book by Peter Boylen. So many others are American or English based but this one at least talks about the Irish system etc, so might be worth a look. Wishing you happy and healthy pregnancy! :lvs
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
:o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll Wow FANTASTIC news..... I'm very broody today!!!! No advice sorry, I have no babies but I'm all excited for you :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll