just want to cancel the whole thing

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

so stressed Posts: 1
everyone is annoying me. I'm so cross and tired of it. we wanted a small immediate family wedding. my parents said we had to invite granny. ok. my granny said I had to invite godmother. ok. my parents said we couldn't leave uncle out as he'd be the only one left out. ok. my dad freaked as none of his side invited. So we invited the 2 sisters of his I know, he has 8 siblings. his idea. only 4 of h2b's entire extended family. his parents incredibly sound. 1 of sisters not coming probably because rest of family not invited. O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| I know that this is my fault for not keeping foot down but its so hard to fight with my parents. why is it IMPOSSIBLE to have a small wedding?? Also a friend on h2b's side is being awkward about it, very offended because we're having no friends to it. taking it v personally and b*tching about us to all who will listen. I'm so f*cking annoyed and upset. It seems like we have to please everyone and not ourselves.
babybambino Posts: 940
God I really feel for you. This was our original plan but because of the very reasons you have mentioned we just couldn't do it. We're now going the whole hog and inviting all and sundry. I honestly don't know what the answer is, could you sit down with your parents and basically explain the situation and ask their advice, at the end of the day they won't want to see you upset. Don't call it off, at the end of the day you will have a fantastic day and will end up witht he same result-married!
evalena Posts: 1130
O God love you. I'm having immediate family and all our good friends and their plus ones. no cousins, no aunts, no uncles. we just have too many so it was all or nothing. I'm sure ppl are p1ssed off and some prob don't care but I'm becoming teflon woman - just let it slide off you. Me and H2H are paying every single penny ourselves and if anyone has a problem with the way we are doing it they can go sh1te!! O-O :xxx
panda_bear Posts: 342
ladies, I'm the OP here, I thought I'd go anon cos I could be identified but f*ck it. thanks for the replies. h2b is so mad that he wants us to get married on hols in a few weeks, and of course I don't want to do that. my dress! my shoes! I can't even talk to him about it because he gets so mad that I'm upset. It only my family causing the bother. I've tried talking to my parents rationally and have left the house in tears more than once. They don't budge. I feel like a bold child and they guilt me so much. It's really awful.
mrs.ebayqueen Posts: 2483
hi Panda i dont know what to say in advice to you i just wanted to let you know that i'm thinking about you and hope it all goes well on the day :xox :xox
smurfette2212 Posts: 749
You poor thing :( If I can just ask, when you say your parents won't budge, does that matter? I don't mean that in a smart or cheeky way, but just couldn't think of another way to phrase it... I suppose what I mean is let's say you just stuck to your small-family-wedding guns, and just put your foot down, would they take it really badly, or do you think at some point they would come round?? I know it's easily said, but just try not to stress too much :thnk
jack sprat Posts: 204
i really feel for you, and just want to let you know that you are not alone. this is THE major stress point for brides. my mother and father are the exact same, they promised me that they were not going to put all the neighbours on their list, and now its a case of "u cant ask jack without asking john". so now the list is endless, i love my parents and dont want to ruin their day but there is just no talking to them. i hope everything works out for you , best of luck :wv
Glamourqueen Posts: 29
Oh feeling so sorry for you :o( Its supposed 2 be a happy ocassion. Why dont you ask ur parents if they want friends and family to come that they pay for them as you just cant afford it, or just put ur foot down its YOUR wedding. Hope all goes well!!
sona sasta Posts: 585
If its only the dress and shoes thats stopping you getting married on hols, i would go away and do it, its so romantic!! And you have the small wedding you wanted :lvs I wanted a small wedding too well 40-60 but it has spiralled like you. Would love to elope but h2b doesnt want to!! Seriously, you could get a lovely white/cream dress and shoes in highstreet shops and go for a small, intimate, casual wedding :wv Wedding shoes here http://www.newlook.co.uk/women/look_18/ ... nList.aspx and here http://www.faith.co.uk/productlist.aspx ... uage=en-GB The dress would be a bit harder but you could find a white one in one of the highstreet shops or Monsoon Bridal!
Cherry Bomb Posts: 230
I feel your pain, there is no easy answer tbh, No matter what numbers we set they always seem to increase.