Just wondering

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nwhite Posts: 216
I am just wondering is it true that they cut you down below to allow the baby to come out. AHHHHHHHH a friend of mine her sister just had a baby and this is what she told me.
Purple Tulip Posts: 3442
its called an episiotomy...it is where the cut you down below before you tear yourself if there is not enough room for babs to come out ..... i had this done when havin my babs :o( and i didn't feel a thing due to the epidural
Oh my god so its true but what happens if you don't have an epidural, then you would probably feel it. Was it sore after
Purple Tulip Posts: 3442
no it wasn't overly sore just very uncomfortable :-8
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
Are you pregnant nwhite? If so you should get a good book like "what to expect when you are expecting" it will explain why this might happen. However, there is a good chance it won't have to happen, I have had 2 babies and have not had to have one. Both of them were big as well and I am not that large myself. Don't spend time worrying about it. FP
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
Are you pregnant nwhite? If so you should get a good book like "what to expect when you are expecting" it will explain why this might happen. However, there is a good chance it won't have to happen, I have had 2 babies and have not had to have one. Both of them were big as well and I am not that large myself. Don't spend time worrying about it. FP
Yes i am pregnant about 7 weeks and i also have that book i haven't read that far ahead yet i am only on the second month. Thanks for the advice.
The PDQ Posts: 954
I think Kegel (sp) exercises are recommended to avoid this. You know contracting your muscles from bum to front when you are sitting, as if you are trying to stop yourself peeing mid flow. To help strenghten muscles so they are stronger in birth and avoid tearing or episiotomy.