just wondering

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Shin Posts: 8515
If anyone else has received this When i got home from work yesterday my mam, sis and bro in law were all manic and talking over one another and when i was wondering what the f*ck was going on they showed me this letter they received in my mam's name. It was from the official euromillions lottery brach in spain (don't ask me why) stating that she had won €850,000.00 as a shared prize. when she rang up the number in spain, an english speaking official had assured her that this was no mistake and that she had won the money. But when she rang up the national lottery over here they had said that they had received 3 phone calls of the same nature and it must have been a hoax. My mam and sis have basically decided that it was a hoax letter due to the 3 other phone calls to the lottery but my theory is is that those other 3 people could easily be other winners too. when they rang up spain the lady on the phone said she just needs a copy of her passport to which reinforced my mother's belief that it's a gimmick but im adamant not to let this go as of course they need her passport for proof of identiy and it's not as if they asked for her credit card. my sister was wary and told my mam not to give it as she thinks that if you win the lotto, all you need is your winning ticket and that you don't buy a lotto ticket as Ms Jane bloggs, you buy it as a free citizen who is under no obligation to prove identity. The letter looked so official with the official euromillions stamp on it. I rang my ma again this morning and her and my sis are like "ah shin will you just let it go and accept it that it's a joke" but it may not be!!!! i mean this could be real? has anyone else received this letter? Cheers :thnk
strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
i havent recieved any but TBH id take this as a hoax especially if they are asking for a passport, obviously she didnt buy a spanish ticket so how did they pick her out?
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
Yep its a hoax that's been going on for ages in Ireland and the UK Loads of people have lost a lot of money on it There was a programme on the BBC a while ago about it. Some people from the UK travelled over to Spain to meet 'official' lottery people or intermediaries, paid them some money or something (cant remember the details) and basically ended up seriously out of pocket
clucky Posts: 26471
Shin think about it the only way she could have won a share in the euro millions is by picking numbers - thats a random thing and in no way would lead to them getting her name and address its a hoax
but surely to ask for a passport isn't exactly asking too much? i thought the euromillions was european anyway? maybe it's the spanish branch who are in charge of this particular win, not sure!!!
Mrs Knockers Posts: 3514
Soz shin - it's a hoax - I had one a few months back too!
ah feic it anyway. there was a copy of the ticket stapled to the back of it...and i asked my mam did she remember that ticket and she was all "oh jesus luvvie i can't remember for the life of me, i could have ye know" grrrrrrrr >:o( im gonna sue >:o)
newkid30 Posts: 2233
If they get a look at her passport, they can creat a fake of it, using all her details and forge an exact copy with a different photo. Irish passports are like gold dust.
*gone* Posts: 4785
It's a hoax. I got the exact same letter a few weeks ago, and checked it up on google ... it's a well known scam that has done the rounds of email / post. Throw it in the bin!
[quote="newkid30":268gsggj]If they get a look at her passport, they can creat a fake of it, using all her details and forge an exact copy with a different photo. [b:268gsggj]Irish passports are like gold dust[/b:268gsggj].[/quote:268gsggj] ah sh*t, forgot about that...on that point, why is irish passport so special, i would have thought ANY E.U. passport is like golddust no?