Keano quits United

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Guest101 Posts: 261
Keane quits United Roy Keane has sensationally left Manchester United by mutual consent. A statement released by the Old Trafford outfit confirmed that their long-serving captain has departed with immediate effect after it became clear that his future at the club was untenable. The 34-year-old’s representative Michael Kennedy met United chief executive David Gill at Old Trafford to thrash out details of Keane’s severance, completing one of the most dramatic departures Manchester United has ever known. The announcement comes less than three weeks after Keane's amazing outburst at his team-mates during an MUTV interview so damning that it was deemed ``unbroadcastable''. Sir Alex Ferguson was known to be furious at the timing and verocity of the personal attacks contained within the interview and publicly rebuked his skipper prior to the win over Chelsea on November 6. Once the depth of Ferguson’s feeling was known it became clear that Keane had no future at the club. A previous offer for a testimonial in recognition of the Irishman’s 12-and-a-half years at Old Trafford has been confirmed in writing but Keane will not be at the club in an official capacity if he decides to take the offer up. “It has been a great honour and privilege to play for Manchester United for 12 years,” said Keane. “Whilst it is a sad day for me to leave such a great club and manager I believe that the time has now come for me to move on. “After so many years I will miss everyone at the club.” Keane had already cast doubt over his long-term future at United earlier this season when, in a live phone-in, he said he believed that his current contract, which was due to expire at the end of this season, would be his last. The statement astounded Ferguson and Gill who believed they had a verbal agreement in place to discuss the Cork-born star’s future later in the year. Almost immediately speculation surfaced that he would join Celtic in the summer, and in their official statement United have today made it clear that Keane is now free to sign “a long-term deal with another club to enable him to secure his playing career beyond what would have been the end of his contract at United in the summer”. While the relationship between Ferguson and Keane, which has proved to be such a bedrock of United’s success down the years, has now been broken apparently beyond repair but the United manager, who breezed through this morning’s media sessions without mentioning the dramatic developments about to unfold, was quick to pay tribute to Keane’s contribution. “Roy Keane has been a fantastic servant for Manchester United,” said Ferguson. “The best midfield player in the world of his generation, he is already one of the great figures in our club’s illustrious history. “Roy has been central to the success of the club in the last 12 and a half years and everyone at Old Trafford wishes him well in the rest of his career and beyond.”
Carmen Posts: 510
Thats very dramatic although it has been on the cards lately. Hope he goes to Celtic now where he can be a hero again!
Astra Posts: 1409
I think it's really sad that it's ended like this. More than likely this would have been his last season with the club but it would have been nice to see him finish it out and leave on good terms.
buddingmrs Posts: 322
Must have had murder with ferguson- my H has his fingers crossed he'll go to Celtic
Mrs plaza Posts: 3031
good riddance , hate the guy and he should not be welcomed into any club in my opinion He abused, insulted and castigated his fellow players and manager a the most crucial period and lets not forget saipan!
cathycam Posts: 335
I'm totally gutted he's gone! Can't believe it!! My dad was listening to some talk show on the radio about it all - apparently he turned up to play in a reserve match last night and was told his services were not required and fergie had to be called in to settle the row that happened! And yes, i don't think that interview helped matters but everything he said in it was right!
MrsCranberry Posts: 297
[quote:2v07z26n]good riddance , hate the guy and he should not be welcomed into any club in my opinion He abused, insulted and castigated his fellow players and manager a the most crucial period and lets not forget saipan![/quote:2v07z26n] Ah Saipan me arse. Methinks Mick McCarthy et al must be closet Wolers - they can't seem to handle plain truths and honest, valid opinions either.
Mrs plaza Posts: 3031
[quote:3skljp0w]Methinks Mick McCarthy et al must be closet Wolers [/quote:3skljp0w] Absolutely not mrs cranberry :) He simply appears to suffer from verbal diarrhoea and his recent actions reflect mental instability.… Perhaps he should be receiving psychiatric care... Thank God he's off the national team - he's got about as much credibility as an Irish politician :lol: :lol:
MTMR Posts: 788
have to say not a keano fan but you have to apprecaiate he is a footballing legend. he will not go to celtic (if he does i'll eat my hat) gordan strachan will not take him. keane is a much bigger personalit than strachan and strachan would be very threatened by him. IMO this is what happened.....talks re contract extention ongoing for some weeks. fergie not happy to offer due to keane only being fit 60% of the season...keane looking for stability, not happy with no offer says well i might aswell leave now, fergie says fine....mutual consent is evident and everyone gets what they want (except keane who wanted an extention) I heard a few peopl saying he would be named as irish manager but u cn't see him putting up with the fai and the fai won't put up with him dictating how football should be run i this country.
mumof2 Posts: 3864
I would love to see him in the role of Manager for the Irish Team. Even though, he has always said in interviews that he would finish his career in Celtic. I don't personally like him but have to admit he has been a great ambassador for Cork and Ireland