Kitchen mixer

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

morningsun Posts: 784
I want to get some sort of kitchen mixer but I don't know what I want! I don't know the difference between the different types so can anyone explain the basics to me? Basically tell me what I want!!
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
I've a kenwood chef, the old version. Use it for all mixing when baking etc, has a balloon whisk and dough hook also. Also have a kenwood food processor and mini chopper for chopping onions etc.
bee0606 Posts: 691
My mom has a kenwood chef too … got it as a wedding present and it's still going strong after 30 odd years. Can't wait to move into my new house and have a kitchen with enough room to get one myself!
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Mam has a kenwood from her wedding still going strong 35 years on. I went for a kitchen aid because it looks prettier, has cool colours and has all the same attachments as kenwood. We don't have a press for it so we wanted something that looked nice on the counter. There are also deadly extras for the Kitchen aid - pasta makers, sausage suffers, citrus press etc. Maybe kenwood has these too, I don't know.
morningsun Posts: 784
Thanks for the replies. I'm basically between the chef and kitchen aid. I love the look of the kitchen aid but just trying to justify the extra couple of hundred quid on it!!
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
if its any help it was the sales asst in arnotts who persuaded me to go with the old kenwood, i wanted the "pretty" one, but he described them as kitchen jewelry :-8 the old kenwood are still manafactured for a good reason!!
Persephone Posts: 928
If you're stuck between a Kenwood Chef and a Kitchen Aid then a Kenwood Kmix is the way to go. Stylish and in an array of colours like a Kitchen Aid but with the durability of Kenwood. Love mine. The Kitchen Aid seems a little bit flimsy to me. It's a good price, bit more expensive that the Chef but cheaper than Kitchen Aid and also has the option of extra attachments like the Kitchen Aid.
LittleLily Posts: 3682
[quote="Persephone":16x57wl5] The Kitchen Aid seems a little bit flimsy to me. [/quote:16x57wl5] They're made from die cast zinc so they're far from flimsy. Can't comment on either mixer as hubby is the baker in our house, but we have a kitchenaid one and all I know is it weighs a flippin tonne. He does love it though and he's nerdy about how things are designed and perform so I reckon that's a good sign. He researches the crap out of everything he buys. Well, anything that can be plugged in that is.
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
We have a Kitchenaid, we both love it. The first thing I made with it was meringues - a revelation! So quick and easy, I made meringues in my Mum's last week with a hand mixer and I couldn't believe how long it took. Made great shortbread with it (I find shortbread a pain to mix manually) We got the pasta attachment so have made ravioli and little bows (forget what they're called) I've wanted a Kitchenaid for a long time and it's living up to my expectations. We might get some more attachments in time... I like the idea of the ice cream bowl!
ructions Posts: 2689
z