Kneeling Chair - Good for SPD?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MeWimmysBaby Posts: 456
Not sure where to post this but... I'm looking for a kneeling chair. Anyone have any ideas on where to buy one of these? I hear they are good for your back. I haven't been diagnosed with SPD but have some of the symptoms and doctor suggested this might be a good idea. Thanks
Sphynx Posts: 6795
I was told about this too but no one knew where to get one! Have you tried walking in the swimming pool? I know it sounds bizarre but I had spd for about 8 weeks in the middle of my pregnancy and it just disappeared - the only think I can put it down to was doing gentle exercises and walking in the pool - wasn't able to swim.
If you do go to the pool, do NOT do the breast stroke! Physio told me it could make me worse!
baby-bel Posts: 929
excuse my ignorance but what is spd? I haven't heard of it before?
jarashow Posts: 3083
Was going to ask the exact same thing baby-bel. Is it something to do with your hips ??
MeWimmysBaby Posts: 456
Thanks for the reply Sphnx...yeah I think it's prob going to be hard to source one, there apparently used to be one in argos but had a look at the website and couldn't see anything. Going to physio today though so should get some good advice. In regard to what SPD is...really not the expert but it is to do with your pelvis. Apparently the pelvis is not just one bone but a couple held together at the front and back (maybe sides too not sure) but the start to separate during pregnancy because of the relaxin. All of the above may be complete bollox but that's my understanding. Anyway, I apparently have a mild form, which presents itself as pain in hips, pain in lower back, unable to get comfortable in bed as a result of hip pain and uncomfortable walking. It also hurts when I open my legs too wide. My doctor told me to keep my legs closed :-8 ...felt like I was being scolded. Apparently I have to act like a "mermaid" (legs always together)...DH says I'm a funny looking mermaid - cheeky beggar. I can apparently get a lot worse and I have heard of people being on crutches and painkillers :eek
I also got a support belt (Serola) but I always forgot to put it on - it did make walking quite a bit easier. Mine got v. bad and at one stage I had to get a taxi everywhere - could not even walk to the end of the driveway or bend down to pick things up - but then it just miraculously disappeard overnight. Best of luck with it.
jarashow Posts: 3083
[quote="MeWimmysBaby":36uk6t6z]Thanks for the reply Sphnx...yeah I think it's prob going to be hard to source one, there apparently used to be one in argos but had a look at the website and couldn't see anything. Going to physio today though so should get some good advice. In regard to what SPD is...really not the expert but it is to do with your pelvis. Apparently the pelvis is not just one bone but a couple held together at the front and back (maybe sides too not sure) but the start to separate during pregnancy because of the relaxin. All of the above may be complete pants but that's my understanding. Anyway, I apparently have a mild form, which presents itself as pain in hips, pain in lower back, unable to get comfortable in bed as a result of hip pain and uncomfortable walking. It also hurts when I open my legs too wide. My doctor told me to keep my legs closed :-8 ...felt like I was being scolded. Apparently I have to act like a "mermaid" (legs always together)...DH says I'm a funny looking mermaid - cheeky beggar. I can apparently get a lot worse and I have heard of people being on crutches and painkillers :eek[/quote:36uk6t6z] God that sounds very painful. I can't of anywhere I might have seen one, did you look at the Ikea web site ?? If I come across one on my travels I will let you know.