Labour Bag?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

chicam Posts: 1169
Ok girls, with talk of ppl packing labour bags at 25 weeks, I'm 26 wks and going on hols in abut 3 weeks so thought I'd better have a bag together in case anything happens! I know WHAT to put in it, just wondering some SILLY questions (newbie here, sorry!) - what type of bag did you use? - is it worth buying a hospital bag already packed like this one from mothercare - or is it worth just packing a sports bag with all the bits needed?
Babybop. Posts: 592
I got a lovely orange wheelie one from Heatons for 11 euro and its perfect. I was just looking at the Mothercare one you posted and it doesnt seem to have the likes of Vaseline for your lips or Mist spray for your face shampoo for your baby and babywash also same for your washing essentials it could cost you more in the long run.
jarashow Posts: 3083
I was hoping to just use a small bag from home. Either a little wheelie one or a hold all of some sort. Will leave the big bag in the car and hubbie can go out and get it afterwards.
roxychick Posts: 1802
I didn't use half the stuff I had in my labour bag. Towels etc
Mammypig Posts: 832
i wouldn't bother with the pre-packed ones you can buy. you really just need the bare essentials in the labor ward. (baby vest, babygrow, towel, blanket, maternity pads) Everything else can go in a bigger bag which DH/DP can bring in later. I know a lot of people go overboard bringing face mist/sweets/etc and never used any of it. and remember DH/DP can always bring in things you need
rushinbride Posts: 1097
[quote="santababy":2jjffcsf]i wouldn't bother with the pre-packed ones you can buy. you really just need the bare essentials in the labor ward. (baby vest, babygrow, towel, blanket, maternity pads) Everything else can go in a bigger bag which DH/DP can bring in later. I know a lot of people go overboard bringing face mist/sweets/etc and never used any of it. and remember DH/DP can always bring in things you need[/quote:2jjffcsf] very true!! I remember when I went in to have my son I had all my labour ward stuff in a little over night bag (plus my bigger bag was seperate)...but midwife said it wasn't wise to bring the overnight bag to the labour ward as things could take longer than expected etc...shifts change and it gets to the point where your bag is mislaid, she came to me then with a plastic bag (very classy :o0 ) put 1 nappy, 1 vest, 1 babygro, and sanitary towels and knickers in it, THE END...nothing else, all my fancy face sprays and this and that remained unused and unopened - I didn't use them nor think of them nor want them when I was in the labour, all I had was water nothing else, the midwife came with a little basin and face cloth for DH to wet and wipe my face and i'm telling you it was much better than face mist!! I'm getting a section this time but I will be packing a labour bag just in case something happens before my date, it will be plastic carry bag with the very bare essentials in it, its very effective afterward as a bin bag to bin the nightdress you wore during the delivery!!! :o0
Bear Posts: 671
I brought in a hold all with all sorts of stuff, including my nintendo ds, ipod, playing cards etc. In the end it all happened so quickly I only used my nightie, maternity pads and some facial spray (heaven, when pushing). Oh and the clothes for the baby and a rennie!!!
boobies Posts: 1625
one of the handiest things I brought was a little pack i bought in heatons, it had a small shampoo, shower gel, deoderant, face cloth, soap was very useful and it meant I did'nt take up room in my case with bottles. I also used tea tree oil when having a bath, it helps the healing process.
sineaaad Posts: 402
I would suggest not packing too much in your labour bag. I had all sorts of stuff in mine and in the end all that I needed was a night dress and slippers for myself and a babygro,vest,hat,nappy and blanket for the baby.
sinion Posts: 6050
I just have a really small handheld bag for labour with the following in it For me nightie knickers maternity pad lip balm face spray For baby vest babygrow, hat and mitts nappy It's about the size of a handbag. Everything else is in a bigger bag that will be left in the car for after so hubby can go get it once we're all back on the ward