Labour pains - where exactly?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jill80 Posts: 565
Bit of a dumb question but WHERE do you feel labour pains? Is it in your tummy area or can they be more specifically lower down, around your vagina and uterus (sorry if asking t.m.i) but just wondering where to expect them from?
Martiespride Posts: 997
i think they can be in a few different places, lower back, tummy, groin. i dont know either, its a good question thanks for asking :-8
I feel a bit dumb having to ask :-8 , but books and antenatal courses say backpain and abdomen like period-like pain in first while, but I know my period pains are low down, whereas some people feel them higher.
theoracle Posts: 7664
Depending on baby's position, placenta etc, you can feel period type pains in lower abdomen, tightening pains on top of bump or intense back pain in lower back. You will know as the pains will keep returning, becoming more intense and regular and allthough the first few might not convince you you are in labour, after a while you will know for sure! NB If your waters break first you will have to go to hospital regardless of contractions.
mrs donegalbride1 Posts: 73
i started with back pain and went into pains in my belly like it was getting tighter and i like you did not know what to expect but trust me you will know these pains but if you are unsure ring your hospital hth good luck :wv
Thanks for the replies ladies :thnk Think I'm having some braxton hicks at the minute, nothing regular!!!
dreamer Posts: 3941
I am just here to prove that women forget!! I think mine were down low but you know what? I really can't remember! It did start like a period like pain though! :o0
lisa Posts: 1612
I thought I was getting a dose of diarrheoa when in fact I was in labour. Pains soon after were up quite high in my back, We didnt even know I was in labour, even hospital thought I had kidney infection until they did internal!
Bun in Oven Posts: 241
Same as Lisa, my first pains felt like I needed to go to the loo, i.e. like I was about to have diaharrea, from what I recall.
love struck Posts: 1125
jill80 I had diarreha as another wollie mentioned and then severe back pain.. My Lo was my 1st and I knew fairly quickly I was in labour.. The pain is intense and regular this is how I knew anyway. Good Luck