Lack of options for Waterbirth / labouring in water

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

usernamekc1 Posts: 3
The following is an excerpt of a letter I have posted to the Rotunda Hospital master 21/07/2010. I have asked for explanations and am hoping to have some response. If you feel similar, I ask you also to send a letter of complaint, demanding answers, change and results urgently to the Hospital master of your Maternity Hospital. I was told 21/07/2010 by a midwife in the Rotunda that most women in Ireland are not interested in water birth OR labouring in water......... I am expecting my second baby in October 2010 and am thoroughly disappointed in the lack of options available to me for water birth and/or labouring in water. My first baby was born almost 5 years ago in the Rotunda hospital. I was lucky enough at that time to avail of the standard bath in the delivery ward to labour for hours (unattended) only spending an hour in the delivery suite in pain before the birth. I got through the whole birth itself without any painkiller whatsoever, not even gas and air. I presumed I would be able to do this again on this birth, however, I have recently been informed that I had been very lucky to have been able to use this bath and there are absolutely no guarantees it will be available to me on this birth. I have also been informed that the Rotunda Hospital birth pool suite remains closed, the general issues being the requirements to staff the birth pool facility and the limitations the hospital are facing with staff at the moment. This, it seems, is nonsensical, it’s a total paradox. I know that once I go into labour on this baby I will be desperately seeking the soothing benefits of water and will, inevitably, resort to epidural if water is not available. This will require further resources of your staff and hospital as I will require an anaesthesiologist, costly epidural medication, attendance for the entire labour once the epidural has been taken, the birth will take more than likely take longer, I will require additional aftercare and I am likely to be longer in hospital before release. Not to mention the associated risks and the personal impact this will have on me, my beliefs and my baby. There are many online forums with comments on how backward Ireland is in relation to water births, the really sad part about this is that a lot of these comments date back to 2005. If this situation is not righted, I believe more and more women will be faced with little alternative other than home birth and the associated risks, as hospitals fail to provide adequate services. (end of letter excerpt) This is a pasted piece Information copied from forum post on different forum..... "Tragically a baby was lost in Cavan in 2006. The inquest took 2 years to complete and has been over since 2008. In June 2008 the coroner recorded a verdict of death by 'near drowning' (the little boy died 3 days later in H.Street) but acknowledged that the evidence heard at inquest does not "completely outrule" a "prenatal hypoxic event" (or an event prior to birth which deprived the baby of oxygen,). Dr Alan Finan, consultant pediatrician attached to Cavan General who treated Harry after his birth, told a previous hearing of the inquest that he believed the baby had experienced "a neurological insult before delivery". The HSE made recommendations that the hospitals should follow before reintroducing waterbirths." The water birth ban has been lifted since July 2009. Here is a link to images of Hospital Birthing Suite in Cork, which is also closed http://www.idi-design.ie/awards/2007/grandprix.htm kc
randomusername Posts: 2134
I've read this here and on magicmum and still haven't a notion what you're on about. Ireland is going through a babyboom at the moment and personally I think the staff are over stretched enough as it is. I think that you should arrange to meet with and speak to the master of the hospital you're attending and discuss the issues and then address then to the minister for health with the actual facts of the situation rather then how you see them. If you want a water birth investigate to see what options are available to you. I don't think coming onto a website like this or magicmum and whatever other sites you've targeted this morning is going to get you anywhere. You come across as so angry over something that doesn't appear to have been investigated properly by you and you don't seem to have put any thought into more hard hitting issues such as the incorrectly diagnosed miscarriages that have affected women on this site. I would prefer to see these issues addressed first and foremost rather then an extra bath put into the labour ward.
theoracle Posts: 7664
I think this is a worth-while cause that needs support. Not quite sure why you would get annoyed about it watermelon, it has nothing to do with putting in an extra bath but not being able to use facilities that are provided for water birth, which has been researched and is available elsewhere and which would help improve birthing experiences, if it isn't something you support or are interested in, fair enough but I think kc1 is entitled to ask for support from other mothers because I know there are quite a few on this site that would have wanted to make use of waterbirthing facilities.
mum~of~an~angel Posts: 81
i for one would love to have experienced/ or at least have been given the option to have a waterbirth with my ds. it was frustrating birthing on a bed when i knew there was state of the art birthing pool closed in the same building it's unfortunate that currently the only options open to mothers wishing to have a water birth would be to have a home birth.
GentleBirth Posts: 750
[quote="watermelonbelly":32pyie9h] I would prefer to see these issues addressed first and foremost rather then an extra bath put into the labour ward.[/quote:32pyie9h] The pool already exists and could be used at no additional cost to the hospital - it would probably save the health service money as mums would be less likely to need an epidural and it's associated costs......and maybe that money could be put towards other areas that need investment. Tracy
xxdaisyxx Posts: 93
Wow I can't believe how nice that birthing suite is, I would love to give birth in an environment like that. Especially when I read somewhere on the site about somebody giving birth in what was basically in the hall in holles street. Just so typical to have such wonderful facilities under lock and key. Another thing Mary harney can be 'very proud of'.
randomusername Posts: 2134
Oracle I'm entitled to my opinion on this issue as well as the op and I don't appreciate the spamming posts her and on MM because she has an issue with something. It smacks of someone with an agenda and I don't like that. I also don't like the dismissive way she spoke about the hospital and staff and is addressing her letter to them rather then the minister for health who is the person who can actually change things. I also said I didn't understand the outrage in the op. Gentlebirth, your opinions are well documented here and when you were a user on mm so I'd rather not get into this issue with you.
Martiespride Posts: 997
[quote="watermelonbelly":rimj4z44]I've read this here and on magicmum and still haven't a notion what you're on about. Ireland is going through a babyboom at the moment and personally I think the staff are over stretched enough as it is. I think that you should arrange to meet with and speak to the master of the hospital you're attending and discuss the issues and then address then to the minister for health with the actual facts of the situation rather then how you see them. If you want a water birth investigate to see what options are available to you. I don't think coming onto a website like this or magicmum and whatever other sites you've targeted this morning is going to get you anywhere. You come across as so angry over something that doesn't appear to have been investigated properly by you and you don't seem to have put any thought into more hard hitting issues such as the incorrectly diagnosed miscarriages that have affected women on this site. I would prefer to see these issues addressed first and foremost rather then an extra bath put into the labour ward.[/quote:rimj4z44] agree
theoracle Posts: 7664
Watermelon, certainly you are entitled to an opinion, I just did not think the OP merited getting so annoyed with for posting. Of course the OP had an agenda, wanting to drum up support for the re-opening of water birthing facilities it says so in the opening paragraph, but I have not seen any dismissivness of the staff in the post just of the policy which dictates in which manner the staff is utilised ie not efficiently and I believe any letter demanding a change in policy has to be worded strongly (eg expressing dismay) or otherwise it will not have the desired impact, however the letter OP wrote did not read like a personal attack on staff and sometimes pressure also needs to be applied from bottom up (ie from hospitals to HSE).
jackic Posts: 195
hi, I would love to have option of waterbirth/labour in water so agree with this letter. Am attending Rotunda also. Does anyone know if just a normal bath is availabe there to labour in?