Ladies Get a smear!!!!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
Listening to Ray D'ary, 30 year old girl with terminal cancer, Started off with cervical cancer and has spread although she is doing well. For the sake of 5 minutes it could cost you your life!!!!!!!
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
Was just about to post about this Mrs Summer. I missed the start of it. Did they detect it from a smear or what? That poor girl - what she's gone through is just awful. She has such a fantastic positive attitude to it though. I'm actually due a smear so I will be booking in for next week. I don't mind getting them done but I'm always nervous that something will show up. Nothing ever has, thank God.
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
cupcakebabe Posts: 2232
Just off the phone booking mine. I got a reminder before xmas and had totally forgot all about it. Poor girl.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
It's so important. My gp is great for keeping on top of this. I'm always telling my friends to make sure they are up to date. I had two abnormal smears and needed a colposcopy, and I'm back for a second one in April when I'll be 7.5 months pregnant. I don't find them too bad, the 30 seconds of mild discomfort could save your life.
Thanks Morningsun - God that's scary, isn't it! That poor girl. WTF was that doctor on about! :eek I just booked mine in. Hopefully everything will be fine. I just want it out of the way now. I asked how long the results take and she said 4 weeks.
petri Posts: 574
I agree for the sake of a few minutes. I have had borderline abnormal in past and was sent for colposcopy but needed no treatment! My last one was clear so have to go back in a few months for another one! It could save ur life and its FREE!!!
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
thats just reminded me i never got the results of the one i had done in sept :eek completely forgot about it, must get back onto the doctor about it. id like to assume that there was nothing wrong if they didn't contact me!
eefc Posts: 1201
And they are free now if you are over 25!! And they will send you out a yearly reminder! Mine is due soon I think - Only got my first one at 26 and I am 28 now so it should be coming up soon.
Moobride - the way my surgery works is that they contact you if something shows up - if you don't hear anything then everything is fine. I always ring for the results though, just for peace of mind. Effc - It's every 3 years if the last smear was normal so you are off the hook for another year. You will get a letter from the cervial check programme when you are due you next test.