Lansinoh Breastfeeding cream

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mimmie Posts: 601
Hi Girls, Am just wondering if anyone is using this cream? I am 31 weeks pregnant and my nipples are SO painful. They sometimes have like a sharp, stabbing pain going right through them. TIs this normal? they are also kind of dry. I have used this cream a few times to try and sooth them, but I also heard that its bad as it softens the nipple too much? Does it also make anyone else leak a little? Thanks for your help! :wv
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
I used to get those stabbing pains too, normal me thinks. i only used the cream in the days after labour/first few days bf'ing as it helps soothe them in between feeds. Didn't need to after a while as the nipples harden up and get used somewhat to the babs latching on.
milis Posts: 7998
the leaking is normal, nothing to do with lansinoh cream.
marriedLife Posts: 1881
Oh my nipples have been really dry and I have been lashing the cream onto them and they are nice and soft now - should I not be doing this?? I really want to breast feed so don't want to do anything that will make my nipples soft if they should be hardening up??
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I used lansinoh a lot after having DD. I think i used it too much but my nipples were so sore and cracked and it really helped. I would be a little wary about using too much of it in advance as it does soften your nipples. After the baby, you could use it sparingly. The best thing for after baby is to rub in some of your own milk and allow to air dry. Expose nipples to air as much as poss in the early days when they are sore.
apple drop Posts: 331
Hi Girls, Im a medical sales rep and Lansinoh is one of the products that I sell. I also BF my DD for 9 months, so have a bit of experience of that side of things too. Lansinoh is pure lanolin so is the purest thing you can put on your breasts, using it before the birth can be good if your nipples are dry as it gives them good moisturisation which can stop them cracking in the first place. Your nipples cannot get too soft, they just feel softer cos they aren't dry. Rubbing cream on them before the birth is a good idea as the stimulisation is good for them. You often leak a bit of milk in the last few weeks of pregnancy wheather or not you use cream. Hope that helps a bit.
mimmie Posts: 601
Thank you for all your replies :wv
funkyfish Posts: 7626
leaking is normal.....good sign actually... i went into labour not long after mine started leaking maybe a week... O-O
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Yep leaking is totally normal. I never leaked last time or this time either, YET!
Ivy F Posts: 2023
[quote="apple drop":1s8tv5y8]Hi Girls, Im a medical sales rep and Lansinoh is one of the products that I sell. I also BF my DD for 9 months, so have a bit of experience of that side of things too. Lansinoh is pure lanolin so is the purest thing you can put on your breasts, using it before the birth can be good if your nipples are dry as it gives them good moisturisation which can stop them cracking in the first place. Your nipples cannot get too soft, they just feel softer cos they aren't dry. Rubbing cream on them before the birth is a good idea as the stimulisation is good for them. You often leak a bit of milk in the last few weeks of pregnancy wheather or not you use cream. Hope that helps a bit.[/quote:1s8tv5y8] +1. My doctor has recommended that I use Neutrogena hand cream (with the red cap) on my nipples before the birth, to prevent cracking afterwards, but I have a tube of Lansinoh (which you can't get where I live) for after the birth.