Laptops and pregnancy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Is it bad for pregnant women to use laptop computers on their knees / laps? Can either the heat or any radiation emitted do them any harm?
Milly83 Posts: 3620
Hi Grunge Bride Answer to your question, they USED to. Because of advancement in technology and the quality of screens on laptops and computers, there are limited frequencies and microwaves being transmitted. This goes back to maybe the 1980's and early 90s when the VDUs were actually hazourdous not only to pregnant women. Anyway, you will be fine using this so don't worry! Unless you have an ancient computer!! Edited because I found this: http://www.babyworld.co.uk/faq/individu ... stion=2672
Carthusia Posts: 148
I have heard from computer technicians that some mobile phones emit more radiation than a modern laptops...If you are worried maybe just use it on your kitchen table...
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Thanks Goldenbride, that link is reassuring! I tend to use the laptop on my knees when I'm in bed or in the living room but maybe I'll get one of those lap trays to keep it further away from me if I do turn out to be pg.
heartbeat Posts: 26
Fair play to you goldenbride for posting that, I was worried about that too, cheers!
beaker Posts: 379
just to be on the safe side, i put a cushion underneath the laptop when using it on the sofa, as it still gets quite hot and its a new laptop. I asked hubby use a cushion as well in case it was damaging to his "bits" thankfully it hasnt' so far.
Tedsters Posts: 1688
Hi you are not supposed to use a portable computer on your lap at all as they get too hot and the components could be damaged. Same goes if you have a cushion under it. There are vents underneath which need to be clear to cool the internal components. You could also potentially get burns on your legs if it gets too hot. It is best practise really to use them on a coffee table or desk as the little feet raise it to give it air circulation. HTH.