Las Vegas Wedding legal in Ireland?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sazbob Posts: 3
Hi everyone! Just a quick question for those who have married abroad... I am getting married in Las Vegas next April 2017 and as far as I was aware once it is registered in the country you marry in it is legal in our home country too once we can show our marriage certificate The website for the Department of Foreign Affairs states: Registering your marriage ''If you marry abroad, it will only be recognised in Ireland if it is entered on the civil register of the country where the ceremony took place and provided all legal formalities have been followed.'' Does this mean that the Nevada County will notify our Irish civil registry or do I need to have a ceremony here too? Please help as [u:8l5v0sa4]everyone [/u:8l5v0sa4]says we NEED to make it legal separately here in Ireland also? Thanks to anyone for any help! xxx :heartbeat:
Mrs-C-to-be Posts: 71
Hi if I were you I'd contact the Citizens Information Office to find out for definite. Even after reading this I'm still not 100% sure http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/bi ... broad.html
Smallensmall Posts: 139
Im getting married in Spain and I checked this up to see if there was anything I needed to do here afterwards but there isnt. So long as you are LEGALLY married in the country you got married in then your marriage is recognized in Ireland as well. So basically, yours will just be the same as an american who traveled to settle in Ireland. They will just recognize your american marriage certificate. The big thing is whether its legal in your destination country or not.. so for example in Italy and France its much harder to get legally married, you have to have live in the country for X number of days first etc. So usually, if someone is getting married in those countries they tend to do the legal bit here in Ireland either before or after.
Ah thanks guys for your help and advice, I may just give them a quick call to make sure but the contact opening hours are dreadful 10-12 Mon-Fri... hopefully there is no need to legalise the marriage here too. Many thanks again xxx :heartbeat:
MrsSparkle2B Posts: 1689
My cousin got married abroad & according to her there was a lot of paperwork and hassle so what she did was marry here legally first then have the wedding abroad.
Lorenna Posts: 57
[quote="Smallensmall":f8cw10rh]Im getting married in Spain and I checked this up to see if there was anything I needed to do here afterwards but there isnt. So long as you are LEGALLY married in the country you got married in then your marriage is recognized in Ireland as well. So basically, yours will just be the same as an american who traveled to settle in Ireland. They will just recognize your american marriage certificate. The big thing is whether its legal in your destination country or not.. so for example in Italy and France its much harder to get legally married, you have to have live in the country for X number of days first etc. So usually, if someone is getting married in those countries they tend to do the legal bit here in Ireland either before or after.[/quote:f8cw10rh] This is correct. I legally got married in New Jersey because you can get married in 3 days there instead of the three months here. Your marriage will be legal here as long as it was legal where it took place and followed the rules here also i.e. you must be over 18 etc. Think about it how else could anyone ever get married abroad otherwise. You use your marriage cert here for everything you just cant register the marriage here. Its much easier to get married in America than here or anywhere else in Europe.
Thanks again guys for the help!! Lorenna is there any downside to not having the marriage registered in Ireland or any obstacles we may cross? I am aware that we should be able to use our Nevada marriage certificate as proof of marriage where needed anyway. :heartbeat:
Lorenna Posts: 57
Not really unless you lose it you will need to obtain another from where the marriage was registered. Im not sure of the laws in Nevada but for us we would have to go into the office physcially and get another copy they dont do it online. They also said we can request by post if we send a cheque and a pre stamped envelope, or my husbands parents can go in and get us one, but only them not his aunt or sister etc.
bridalbride Posts: 35
As above as long as it is LEGAL abroad it is legal here. I am getting married in Italy next year and don't have to be there any amount of days before hand (Maybe that's just for certain areas). I am getting married in a Catholic church over there and my wedding planner is helping with all the legal documents 6 months before the wedding day. She said it sounds like a lot of hassle but it's not as long as you do everything right i.e all forms filled out correctly etc. :lvs
Noisin Posts: 448
Not so sure what your saying is accurate smallensmall I got married in Italy, don't recall HAVING to be there days in advance, we were a couple days in advance, didn't meet priest till day before, was there early to sort hair make up and tan out and meet photographer not for any other reason. I had a bit of paperwork to do for the Consular services in Dublin, fill out a freedom to marry thing and get an oaths commissioner to sign, a bit of organisation required not necessarily hassle as such. Just need to be organised and research properly what to do. Once we informed the consular services and they sent the info onto Italy that was it we could get married there. That was it can't remember much more. Once we were married that was it, any other paperwork was finish off my priest.