Law of Attraction

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

NittyGritty Posts: 1605
Yay or nay? Some of you may have seen the Derren Brown experiment programme about luck and the positive affect that simply believing yourself to be lucky has on your life. A positive mental attitude of sorts. I won't give away too much about the programme, as some of you may decide to watch in on 4OD, but the programme, its message and its conclusion truly inspired me. I have previously dabbled in things like Cosmic Ordering, pre husband etc and found it interesting and somewhat effective at the time, but it all fell by the wayside. After watching this Derren Browne programme it got me thinking about the Law of Attraction again and I watched The Secret (based on the Rhonda Byrne book) last night. I've started to work on my manifestations again, my reasoning being that it can do no harm. And if I were to believe the 'experts' on the film I watched, it will only bring good into my life. I'm interested to hear from you girls. Do any of you believe and/or practice the Law of Attraction in your own lives? Have you any stories you'd like to share that proves or disproves the theory? Or are you on the opposite end of the scale? Maybe you think that it's all mumbo jumbo, best left to happy clappers and tree huggers. What do you think?
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
I don't really believe there's any concrete-ness to any of that. I reckon to an extent you make your own luck and that if you do have a good outlook there is a certain amount of happiness associated with that. There's a common sense aspect to it really. If I'm upbeat I will attract people who are upbeat and my life will be better for it. I also reckon an upbeat attitude will help you make the most of any situation but I've seen bad things happen to the nicest people. Sometimes it seems certain things are designed, other times it all looks arbitrary to me. I think the most important thing is to be grateful for the good things that happen to you and when the proverbial hits the fan try and remember things could be worse.
Buttonnose Posts: 477
The jury is still out for me on the fate vs making my own destiny idea. But I do believe that if you try to be good person and keep a positive outlook then you'll draw like minded people to you. If you're talking to someone and in good humour, it rubs off on other people. I'm not saying that by holding a scratchcard and saying "This will let me win €50" will make it happen, but putting things into perspective really helps.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
I saw the Derren Brown experiment and the message I took from it is that if you constantly look on the gloomy side of life that you will miss opportunities which could lead to good luck. I tried to read the Secret and I thought that it was the biggest load of sh1t I’d ever read. Only got about half way through and I couldn’t take any more of it. I don’t believe that saying affirmations every day will make things happen. Actually getting out there and doing something about it is surely more beneficial. Saying that you want to win the lotto 5 times a day will not increase your chances of winning any more than someone who doesn’t repeat the affirmation. What will increase your chances of winning the lotto is actually playing the lotto! I saying that I do feel that people who have a positive outlook on life will attract likeminded people.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Well now there's a turn up for the books! Nitty Gritty, are you ok? *Kaz takes NG's temperature and looks worried* I was sure a cynical wan like yourself would be firmly in the 'this is happy clappy' camp!! Fair play, no judgement, just having the craic there. I haven't seen the show or read that Secret book. In general though I'm in the 'this is happy clappy' camp. I do think if you're positive things seem more positive and you're more mentally able to deal with the bad stuff. I see that in myself. While thankfully I've never suffered from depression, I do overthink and overworry about things and blow them out of proportion. So I let things get on top of me and things seem insurmountable. I try my best not to do that though, or if I do it, recognise that I'm doing it and try to pull myself out of it. I take each day at a time and take small steps towards my goal. I take a 'when I'm 80 this will seem like a trivial problem, I won't even remember it' approach to things and try to project away from them. I think if you're happy and positive and upbeat, it can affect the people around you in a positive way, thus making everything more positive. But affirmations - hmmmm. No. I think I'm with Regina there. Saying 'I'm going to get that job. By tomorrow I will be vice-president of Big Mega Corps' will only work if you have the qualifications to be vice-president of Big Mega Corps! If there's you and five others up for the job and four of them are more qualified with more experience, no amount of affirmations will get you that job. Of course, as with anything, I could be wrong. Just my two cents.
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
[quote="ReginaFalange":f0ydnx7q] I don’t believe that saying affirmations every day will make things happen. [/quote:f0ydnx7q] Just wondering after reading that what your view on is on gentlebirthing, are you going to try it ?
[quote="YoMammaSo":3e2oj3kx][quote="ReginaFalange":3e2oj3kx] I don’t believe that saying affirmations every day will make things happen. [/quote:3e2oj3kx] Just wondering after reading that what your view on is on gentlebirthing, are you going to try it ?[/quote:3e2oj3kx] I'm going to give it a listen but I would see them as very different things...
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
[quote="ReginaFalange":46urkf5b][quote="YoMammaSo":46urkf5b][quote="ReginaFalange":46urkf5b] I don’t believe that saying affirmations every day will make things happen. [/quote:46urkf5b] Just wondering after reading that what your view on is on gentlebirthing, are you going to try it ?[/quote:46urkf5b] I'm going to give it a listen but I would see them as very different things...[/quote:46urkf5b] Do you think so ? I never read that book and to be honest dont really know anything about the topic of this thread, it was just when I read what you said about the affirmations and that you dont believe in them I thought of the gentlebirthing. Which, I bought by the way, only listened a few times and did repeat 2 of them to myself through labour, but I dont know if it actually helped. Actually the whole lot is for sale if anyone is interested, the are sitting in the press since!
Well I haven’t actually listened to the GB yet so not sure what’s involved. I thought that it was more like stress management, techniques for keeping calm and focusing on getting through the pain? Maybe I’m wrong. The secret basically insists that if you say something enough over and over again that the universe will listen to you and give it to you.
libramoon Posts: 2402
I think it’s just about changing your mentality and when you do that things don't seem as bad as they might have seemed before. I listen to the audio version of "The Secret" and am doing my best to let the positivity in. Being more positive has worked for me in some cases (and its more to do with me looking at things differently than anything major changing with the "bad" things in my life) but I do fall off the positivity wagon every now and again! If you think positively you will always find a way to put a positive spin on things.