Left handed why is this bad?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrs mammy Posts: 1487
Was over with mil today. While we were eating dinner mil comes over to ds (3 1/2), takes the spoon out of his left hand and puts it into his right, saying something like 'We need to keep teaching you this you arent getting it' I thought I was hearing things I had to ask her to repeat what she'd said! I dont get the thinking behind this, why is it such a bad thing to write with your left hand? I am a lefty too and had a teacher try to make me write with my right, i would just switch back to my left as soon as she walked away. I thought this way of thinking was gone, she is very old fashioned in her thinking but I really thought this was way over the top.
Flapjack Posts: 308
Wow - that's crazy. You should get her to stop doing that straight away! There is absolutely nothing wrong with being left handed!
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
Think it was something to do with the devil, that's why the nuns used to beat people into writing with their right hand years ago.. I'm left handed and never had any problems in school but my man and sister did I work in a role where I meet customers every day and a lot of people do comment on it Didn't do these people any harm! Barrack Obama Michaelangelo Ringo Starr Angelina jolie Pele Leonard's de Vinci Charlie Chaplin Alexander the great Prince Charles Prince William To name a few famous lefties!
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Don't you know well there's some old wives tale from years ago that says it's bad or the work of the devil or something stupid like that! MIL and SIL keep commenting when they see dd holding something with her left hand, they keep saying "oh she's using her left hand a lot" I asked at her 9 month check are babies born left or right handed and the doc said she is both at the moment, not to worry so I assume they develop this later on? Not that I care - just wondering!
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
Maybe it was just a table manners thing rather than trying to correct him altogether?
weddingdiva Posts: 1349
yeah lefties seem to be very creative. Its mad that some people still have this thing about left handed people.
R2theB Posts: 1660
I suppose with cutlery it's a table manners thing, it's not important in the grand scheme of things at all but there's plenty out there who are sticklers for it. I'm left-handed but I do eat the so-called right way 'round. I've never had any problems, apart from the obvious ones like issues with cramping during long written exams and using scissors. Have gotten a bit of ribbing over the years cos I'm one of those weirdo lefties who wraps my whole arm around to write iykwim. My granny was forced to write with her right hand as a child by the nuns, they said it meant she had the devil in her. RIDICULOUS, and now the poor woman has hand-writing so bad it'd make a doctor's prescription look legible.
Luka Posts: 1904
You need to make it clear to your MIL that she's not to do that again, my BIL & his son are left handed as are my DH's other 2 nephews! My DS is 14 months & uses his left alot when picking things up etc, so I'd say he'll be left handed, which I'm fine with.I wouldn't stand for my MIL trying to change this. He's your DS & she should keep her nose out!
alwayshoping Posts: 409
wasnt this one of the reasons why king george had a stutter because he was constantly corrected over this. tell her butt out in the nicest possible way. what an impressive list of people who are left handed!
geeklover Posts: 831
I was just going to say I hope to god it's a table manners thing rather than a left handed people = devil thing!! At the same time i have to say I use a spoon in my left hand, but when using a knife and fork, fork is in the left... If my DP's mother ever said anything like that to our little one I'd have her right hand tied around her back quicker than she can say 'it's what the nuns would have done'. >:o) As it stands it looks like our girl is going to be a lefty like her mam and I'm delighted, as daft as it sounds!