Menu

Leg brace on newborn

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mimmie Posts: 601
Hi am just wondering if anyone has had experience with their LO wearing a leg brace. My DD was breech and her hip therefore did not develop as normal. She is wearing a leg brace now on both legs. It looks so uncomfortable and her little legs are being cut to bits as it's so rough. We don't kno how long she has to keep it on yet but I read maybe 6 months!!! Can anyone share their experience of this? Thanks
nini83 Posts: 1917
Hi there :wv is it a pavlik harness for click/loose hip?does it go up over her shoulders too if so my dd had this for 7 weeks she was supposed to have it on for 12 weeks but got it off after an ultrasound showed her hip was fine , she was also breech and 3 weeks early and also it is more common in girls. It's not too bad once you get used to it really it is awkward but you just get so used to it and it's much better to treat this in the early days otherwise it has to be treated when they are older and this is alot harder. As for it being rough they told us in the hospital to put socks on under the harness and pull them right up to her thigh to stop it chaffing i know it would break your heart and i shed a few tears over it but at the end of the day you have a healthy dd and the weeks will fly don't worry anything else i can do or help you with don't hesitate :wv
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
God girls, I wish I hadn't read this! DD is going to see the consultant tomorrow about her hip, as when she had the ultrasound it showed one of her hip joints is very shallow. How soon from seeing the consultant did your DD have the harness put on? I've been trying to tell myself that if she has the harness she'll get used to it really quickly and won't notice after a few days...am I deluding myself? It sounds like it's a lot more uncomfortable than I hoped... :o(
paniniroses it is put on straight away in the consultants well it was for us anyway my dd's hip was just loose not click so it was just precautionary .... yes it is awkward but tbh it's more upsetting for the parents the baby barely notices it and my dd got used to it very quickly it is just very awkward for changing the vest (you cant take the harness off so you have to inch off the vest) and you cant bath them at all whick i found upsetting and her having to wear the socks was also upsetting as we never got to see her lil piggies :o( though i was very practical about it you just need to tell yourself that there is so many poor people that would love a hip brace to be their babys biggest worry ifykwim hopefully your lo won't have to have it on but if they do don't worry ask me any q's ya like ... try not too worry :thnk
Thanks nini. hopefully all will be fine, and even if she does get it, it's far from the worst thing that could be wrong, thank god. On the upside, she'll be delighted not to have a bath for a while - she screams bloody murder :o0
Bright Flower Posts: 483
Hi, my DD had the Pavlik harnass for 6 weeks as she had a clicky hip. She was breech and it was diagnosed in Holles St when she was 2 days old. The harnass was put on straight away. We had to go to Temple St once a week for her bath and to change the harnass. The nurses there were lovely and were so kind to us always. At 6 weeks they did another ultrasound and all was fine so they took off the harnass. They said that the majority of babies are fine after 6 weeks so hopefully that would be the same in your case. The harnass didn't bother DD at all. They also suggested to us to put socks/ cut tights on under the harnass on her legs to keep it comfortable. ThaiRedCurry - the brace shouldn't be that uncomfortable on DD or cutting her. If you can put on some socks I would. Otherwise go back to the hospital and ask them to check it. Its great when they diagnose this issue early as it can be fixed so easily - if it gets missed then it can cause lots of problems later. So while its a bit of a pain, as the previous poster said in the grand scheme its a small thing and it can be easily and completely fixed so don't worry.
Hi girls. Thanks for your reassurances last night, and Thairedcurry, sorry for hijacking your post! DD got the all clear today, have to monitor it for the next few months, but looks good for now. Thairedcurry, I was talking to some of the other mums in the clinic whose LOs have the harness and from what they were saying, treatment generally seems closer to 6weeks than 6months, so fingers crossed your DD doesn't have long to go. :lvs
:o)ll :o)ll :o)ll yay paninirose thats brill was thinking of you today even tho it's not the worst still lovely to get the all clear congrats :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
mimmie Posts: 601
Hi girls thanks for the replies! And u didn't hijack my post- delighted ur LO got good news. I was in the clinic today too and we too has good news in that the consultant thinks she is not near as bad now as the original scan suggested. So we r back in two weeks for a scan and he plan is 6 weeks in the brace. Not too bad I suppose. We are lucky that is all we have to worry about thank god. Thanks again for ur replies and shared stories!! O:o)