Length of first cycle off pill

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Hi girls just wondering what were the length of your first cycles off the pill. I was on pill for 18 months this time, and im on CD 31 now and no AF. Even b4 i went on the pill i was usually 28/29 days. I tested and BFN so thinking i may just be in for a longer cycle. Thanks.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
Hey NotLongToGo, I was on the Pill for 8 years with no break. My cycles have varied alot in length since coming off the Pill in Sep 06. They have been anything from 27-40 days. Last cycle was 34, I think this one will be longer too. I know that is it goes too long, say over 50 days then it might be just as well going to doc. By the sounds of it though, you periods are just sorting themselves out. Give it a bit more time.
sunnyside Posts: 3164
My first took 36 days, I had all sorts of symptoms but I think it was PMT which I hadn't had in years on the pill. Did you feel any signs of ovulation? I knew I ovulated (bad pain) and got af 14 days later at day 36.
Elliecat Posts: 2725
I came off pill about second week of January, and only just got AF on Monday. I'm assuming my body is just taking its time to settle down again, I always had fairly regular periods before taking the pill - although that was so long ago I can hardly remember!
Penfold Posts: 365
My first cycle was 96 days, but I never had regular cycles. I would recommend that once it goes significantly beyond what would have been normal for you, that you talk to your GP.
Thanks girls im just being impatient. Sunnyside i thought i was ov on CD 13 had EWCM and sharp pain in right side, i usually get pain there each month. Turns out the pain didnt go for days and i had a UTI, so not sure if thats what the pain was and dont know if i ov. Getting a digital therm on Sunday and start temping so ill know for this month whenever AF comes.
sunnyside Posts: 3164
Perhaps the UTI delayed ovulation. I think ovulation can be affected by things like this although once you ovulate your AF should arrive 12-14 days later. maybe ovulation was later than you think hence the delay in AF. I think with the first month off the pill you just have to tough it out until AF arrives
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
NotLongtoGo I wouldn't go down the charting route yet, it's very very hard and early to be doing this. If you do want to check for ovulation then I would buy the cheap internet ones. I came off the pill mid Aug and it took three cycles really for my AF to get steady. First cycle was 24 next was 18 and then the third was 27. Ranged then from 27/30 Pre pill days I was always 28/29 days. I would give it a couple of month just letting your system recover then perhaps get the ovulation strips. I started them on month 3. and got BFP on 4th month of using them. Good luck NotToLong. It's very very early days yet
Thanks LMS your always the voice of reason ! I suppose i thought it would be best cos not sure when im ov. Where can i get these cheapie ov strips on the internet, also when do you use them, around when you think your might be ov or everyday ?? Sorry im clueless about this.
gogogirl Posts: 1071
Hey girls, sorry to hijack but what's a UTI?