Letter of Freedom

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lilly75 Posts: 142
Hi All Im not getting married in my own parish, do i get the letter of freedom from the parish i grew up in or the one im living now at for the past 3 years. Does anyone know???? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help??? :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
Gummiebear Posts: 2911
Think you can get one from the parish you are living in!!!! I think its six months you have to have lived there for!!! Just ring your parish secretary nd she/he will be able to tell you!!!
colette29 Posts: 99
my h2b has lived away from his parish for 4 years and our priest told us he has to go back to the parish he is from.
Thanks susieq3 :thnk
Thanks Collette think ill have to ring the priest , so confusing!!!! :thnk
doras Posts: 164
The parish you are living in now is the one you do all the main form filling in, you need a letter of freedom from any parish you have lived in for more than 6 months over the age of 18, if you have lived in lots of places, then u can get a solicitor's affadavit thingie, stating that you have never been married before, usually costs around 20 euros or so, other than that you need your baptismal cert and confirmation cert. Hope this helps
july2009bride Posts: 532
It can also depend on the priest. Ours isn't asking for any thankfully.
mcdnomore Posts: 132
The priest who did the prenup enquiry with us gave us letters for our parents to sign to say that we're free to marry, no need to go back to other parishes. He also glossed over the fact that we refused to do a pre marraige course! Think we got lucky :o0
janbro Posts: 14
Hi we are both out of our parish 5 yrs and were told we needed to get letters of freedom from our old parish, but when they sent the baptismal certs we were told by them that we needed to get both our parents to write and sign letters of freedom. Not sure i need to contact the priest were we are getting maried to see if this will be ok.