Letters of Freedom

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bree Van De Kamp Posts: 1275
I'm in the process of trying to organise our letters of freedom (don't get me started, PP is off recuperating after a treble bypass and cleric just passed away :o( ) Anyway, have been in contact with our local church (which we do not attend and are not marrying there) to ask about letters of freedom and the priest had asked to meet us in person. This may not seem like too big of a deal but earlier today my mother told me that in her day the priests had to be paid to do the letter of freedom. I hadn't heard of this, does this still happen? If so, I'll have to fork out 3 feckin times and that's hardly fair just cause I lived away from home before buying my own house!!! >:o( Can anyone tell me what the situation is now? Should i be bringing my cheque book with me on Thursday night and how much is he likely to look for? TIA :wv
MsPlanner Posts: 212
hiya, Most churches don't charge for the letters of freedom (there was just one that we went to and the secretary asked for €5 !!) I'd say you can safely say you probably won't be paying :o)ll
evoldo Posts: 41
I phoned my local priest today for my letter of freedom, baptismal & confirmation certs he never asked me for any money! Oops maybe I should have asked!
Bree Van De Kamp Posts: 1275
O-O Ms. Planner. I'll be disgusted if I have to. Have never set foot inside the door of the church where we're meeting the priest on thursday so it would be a bit much really. When I rang the parish office of the church where we are getting married I was told that we could either get letters of freedom from all the parishes we've lived in for over 6 months or we could get a 1 line affedavit signed by a solicitor and she said and I quote "but they'll charge you for it". So going on that you wouldn't expect to have to pay the priest for the letter. It's just me mammy put the willies up me when she said she had to pay whe she got married.
MsPlanner Posts: 212
Better off getting the letters from the parishes. There's enough expense going on without paying for those. Let us know how you get on. O-O
mrs.july Posts: 3167
You shouldn't have to pay I don't think. I did the run around last week to get all the letters and certs-had to pay €2 in one church for the Baptism cert but nothing for confirmation or letters of freedom. i even asked if they wanted donation and they said no-suits me!
Mrs080808 Posts: 1569
I was asked to give €5 for my baptismal cert but we haven't got any of the rest yet
rash2405 Posts: 292
I think it depends on the church, I got all my paperwork without charge but h2b was charged 6 euro for his baptisimal and confirmation cert
Kazzy Posts: 264
We got all our paperwork without charge, but H2B gave the priest 10 euro on way out as a little "tip"
dunni Posts: 59
I recently recieved my baptismal, confirmation certs & letter of freedom recently and didn't cost me anything. H2B got his baptismal has yet to get the others, but again no cost. Just to make things easier or quicker I did include a stamped addressed envelope.