Lifting during Pregnancy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

W Posts: 92
pattie Posts: 2379
Hi Denew, I'm not sure it's bad for the baby, but you might be more at risk of injuring yourself as the ligaments and joints are looser. Could you fake some kind of back problem, maybe even get your GP to write something vague that wouldn't quite be a lie but would get you expempted from lifting?
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I pushed a plant pot across my sitting room and did my back in weeks ago,thankfully it fixed itself but the pain was unreal....I would suggest if not telling your boss now getting some help from a collegue without him knowing?
Tedsters Posts: 1688
Hi there, just to help you put things into perspective, say if you were the boss and one of your employees was pregnant and was lifting things - I think you would want to know so that you could do everything in your power to ease the pressure of your staff member. I really think you should tell your boss immediately that you are pregnant so that the lifting can be assigned to a colleague and that your workload changes. Your boss has an health and safety obligation to you as well as you to yourself. You can do yourself an injury as your joints are loose. There is nothing to be embarrassed about telling your boss that you are pregnant. There are just some people that you simply have to tell i.e. dentist etc. I have to say that I do agree with your husband. HTH, Ted
W Posts: 92
luigi Posts: 867
You're still really early on d, so I totally understand what you're saying about not letting anyone know. Its a really hard one as (not sure in the South) in the North when an employee tells she is pregnant they are legally supposed to do a risk assessment and remove her from arduous tasks, which is really what you need if you are lifting very heavy stuff. Im not sure if lifting heavy things would harm your baby as such until you are further on as they are really really well padded in there, but of course its not ideal. I think Diotima is spot on about the ligaments and her idea about the doc sounds feasilble. :wv
MotherNature Posts: 317
I did a bit of lifting last week and started spotting later on in the day. It's not worth the panic you'll cause yourself. Tell your boss!