little rant......

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

b2bJune2012 Posts: 210
we have done up our wedding guest list (a few times) and are adamant that we don't want children their on our big day, we love children and definitely want to have them once married, as soon after as possible actually :stork: !! But just don't want them their on our wedding day so I met up with some friends the other night and one of them brought this up, she asked did I have something against children (Im trained in childcare, I def don't have anything against them) and then started saying how a wedding isnt the same without them and that they make the whole day so magical and bring something really special to the day.... (she doesn't even have kids!!!!) >:o( Just really irked me, will our wedding not be magical/special enough??? do we really need to add children to the equation to give it that extra special feeling..... O:| Feeling a bit grrr on this one, and know am probably completely over-reacting but have a few other things on my mind and just didnt like this being said to me... :duh: rant over!!!! :wv
skip Posts: 87
Hi b2b2012, I dont think you are over reacting. Its your wedding day, if you dont want kids at it thats your decision. I dont know if your friend is married or not but when she did or when she does get married, it will be her decision to have kids there or not. We are not having kids at our wedding. Dont have anything against them at weddings, just dont want any at mine ! Have already got bad reaction to this , but am sticking to my guns O:| I have a 15 yr old daughter, she will be one of my BMs. Its said on WOL all the time, "its your special day, you do whatever you like ! " :)
kittycatt24 Posts: 1322
[quote="b2bJune2012":2quqazhr] and then started saying how a wedding isnt the same without them and that they make the whole day so magical and bring something really special to the day.... (she doesn't even have kids!!!!) >:o([/quote:2quqazhr] whats magical about kids screaming and crying throughout your special marriage cermony, and running up and down the aisle??? whats magical about kids hopping around during the meal and when they are bored during the speeches?? and then to top it off the feckers take over the dance floor and think they are the star attractions skidding across the floor and jumping around the place getting way too hyper!! ya magical me arse!!! no dont get me wrong i do love kids, especially that part when u can hand them back to their owners when they get cranky!!! :) :) :)
jams Posts: 368
Everybody has their own opinion on this, & really its your wedding, you do whats right for your wedding! You dont have to answer to anyone so dont feel like you need to make excuses. If its no kids, then its that simple! if people dont like it, they dont need to go What does wreck my head is, no offence kittycat 24,when people have an attitude that all kids dont know how to behave [quote="kittycatt24":2pr8zxmz]whats magical about kids screaming and crying throughout your special marriage cermony, and running up and down the aisle??? whats magical about kids hopping around during the meal and when they are bored during the speeches?? and then to top it off the feckers take over the dance floor and think they are the star attractions skidding across the floor and jumping around the place getting way too hyper!! ya magical me arse!!! [/quote:2pr8zxmz] Im having kids at my wedding, my own & nices/nephews, & I can guarantee not one of them will be running up & down the aisle or any of the other bad things you mentioned, yeah they might dance & ill be delighted if they do. I have no prblem people having a no kids wedding, but I hate when people generalise like all kids are a pain in the ass!
Crystal Gal Posts: 464
Ur not over reacting at all, were getting married new years eve and we've had loads of people say to us what are we going to do with our children we won't get a babysitter, I told them all you have 2 years notice (they did at the time) so I'm sure u can get your other half's family to mind your child for one night. If not then i guess they won't be there because we're not changing our minds. I'm the same I love kids and want them after we get married but I don't understand why parents wouldn't love a day out on their own without any kids!
LittleLily Posts: 3682
[quote="jams":1u09skqh][quote="kittycatt24":1u09skqh]whats magical about kids screaming and crying throughout your special marriage cermony, and running up and down the aisle??? whats magical about kids hopping around during the meal and when they are bored during the speeches?? and then to top it off the feckers take over the dance floor and think they are the star attractions skidding across the floor and jumping around the place getting way too hyper!! ya magical me arse!!! [/quote:1u09skqh] Im having kids at my wedding, my own & nices/nephews, & I can guarantee not one of them will be running up & down the aisle or any of the other bad things you mentioned, yeah they might dance & ill be delighted if they do. I have no prblem people having a no kids wedding, but I hate when people generalise like all kids are a pain in the ass![/quote:1u09skqh] I think we've all been to "that" wedding that kittycatt described at least once though. :duh: [quote="b2bJune2012":1u09skqh]Just really irked me, will our wedding not be magical/special enough??? do we really need to add children to the equation to give it that extra special feeling.....[/quote:1u09skqh] Totally agree with you here. I don't know what your friend is talking about. You're not overreacting. Its your wedding and it you should do it the way you want it.
lux Posts: 6270
We had a great day yet, shockingly, it was child free! Honestly, when children are at a wedding you always know about it, be it the crying in a church/service, the running around and the general oohing and aahhhing you're expected to partake in. When some people were cheeky enough to ask about their kids, we said something like "No, we're not asking any children. Oh, you can't get a babysitter? Too bad, well just let us know by the RSVP date if you're coming". A child's event is for children. Most weddings take place in an atmosphere of some formality, booze and adult what have you, none of which are suitable for small children.
mshelly Posts: 746
You are so not over reacting. I was at a wedding lately (non-church). One of the flowergirls was only about 2 and she completely took my focus away from the bride and groom getting married as she couldn't sit still and was talking at the top of her voice. While I too have nothing against kids I felt that this child completely took from the special ceremony that the bride and groom had pulled together, people focused on her instead of the couple. Her parents were both very involved in the ceremony so they coudn't take her outside. Stick to your guns, if you don't want to have children at the wedding then don't have them regardless of what anyone says. I have yet to see a child make a wedding magical.
b2bJune2012 Posts: 210
Thank you Girls, I was feeling a bit like I must be going mad there for a bit!!!..... We will def be sticking to our guns and not having any children there, I think us getting married in front of our friends and family will be magical enough :) I think sometimes when talking about the day itself and my opinions clash with someone else's I almost feel a pressure to alter them somewhat to please everyone, I'm almost tempted to avoid talking about it altogether :duh:
woggles Posts: 138
one regret i have already is that i didn't put NO KIDS or BABIES on my invites... I totally recommend putting it in black and white for all to see when sending them out. I have a 5 yr old neice and 6 month old neice, both are coming, but the 6 month old will be at the door with its dad ready to run if she gets cranky. Other than that no thanks... I have had a lot of hassle over it, its amazing how cheeky people can be, but on the day we will be happy saying our vows to the sounds of silence and not babies crying or children jumping around and whinging... I too plan to have my own asap, but for my wedding day, no. You are right to have your opinion... and stick to it.... its your day.