Living in the city centre (D8)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

AGuest Posts: 1262
A friend of mine is looking at a house in D8 - just off South Circular Road - Arnott St, which is near Pleasant's Street. Does anyone know anything about the area? I heard it could be a bit dodgy... does anyone live around the area or know anyone who does? Any info would help. Thanks.
Strawberry Posts: 148
I lived in Dublin 8 about 8 years ago. I had a flat on Stamer Street, not sure where that is in relation to Arnott street, but I was broken into twice and had my car tyres slashed, all within 6 months. Needless to say, I moved. Maybe the area has improved since then, though.
Guest101 Posts: 261
I know Pleasant St quite well. Not bad but if you are a girl on your own then I'm not so sure. I certainly don't camp it up when I'm there to visit and my friend that lives there always gets a taxi home to the door.
stockbroking bride Posts: 2642
Trolley Dolley My hairdresser also has a friend that lives on Pleasant Street - I'm wondering if there is a Fag Hag in the neighbourhood. Your friend isn't planning on moving to Naas by any chance?
Cassandra Posts: 219
Dublin 8 is perfectly fine. In fact the houses on Pleasants Street would all cost at least eur500,000 (a modest estimate). Unless you're a millionaire you really can't afford to pick and choose where you live in Dublin. Your choices are simply: pick what some would regard as a dodgy area ( ie. D8 which is in fact ok for the most part), rent in a better area and waste money or move down the country where houses are more affordable and things are better in terms of safety, living standards etc
AGuest Posts: 1262
gosh :? Thanks strawberry. The area seems to be OK, but I think you never really know until you live somewhere, so I'm grateful for any feedback.
sickofthiscrap Posts: 327
We used to live in Heytesbury St before we moved to our current house, wouldn't recommend that area tbh. I know a girl that was attacked on Long Lane at syringe point at the beginning of this year ( it's just around the corner from Arnott's Street) and there was a family living on Pleasant's Street up until a short while ago, three of the children being smackheads. Not a brilliant area all in all, and far too expensive given how scummy it is. It's hyped up by estate agents for it's "central location" and I'm so glad we sold up and got the f8ck out of there, got a house three times the size in a fab area for the same price.
stockbroking bride Posts: 2642
Glad to hear you moved out - makes me feel alot better about the neighbourhood
Guest101 Posts: 261
SBB.... Am I your hairdresser I wonder? i.e. would you be the fag hag that you referred to? Just wondering??? No this friend is not moving to Naas. She inherited a house there and has lived there for quite a few years and as far as I know she doesn't have any intention of moving. Sue... are you certain about the smack heads? My god that's dreadful but I guess it can happen anywhere.
sickofthiscrap Posts: 327
[quote:lgbj1ryi]Glad to here you moved out - makes me feel alot better about the neighbourhood[/quote:lgbj1ryi] I'm actually surprised at you, the way you go on you'd swear you lived on Ailesbury Road. That end of D8 is a bit declassé for your self proclaimed high standards I would have thought.