London for a weekend

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs Boop Posts: 828
I'm finalising a trip to London, Aug Bank hol weekend and I'm between booking 2 hotels , 1 located near Oxford Street and 1 near Earls Court. Anyone know London well which area would you recommend? Looking for hotel in good central location, near shops, restaurants etc.
NAUGHTYDAISY Posts: 1734
Hiya, lived in London myself for 11 years and so would probably suggest you stay around Oxford Street if you want the shops. The end towards Bond Street or Marble Arch is probably the best shopping area as has all the big name shops where as the Tottenham Court Road end has got a lot of touristy shops and trashy clothes. However Oxford Street is not fabulous for a night out and you should head over to Leicester Square or Picadilly circus. Tiger Tiger and On and On are pretty good disco bars there and chinatown is also close by. If you want something different, clothes shopping wise, then Spitalfields Market on a Sunday is a huge indoor market near liverpool street station that always has fab dresses. Other good clubs to go to are Aquarium on Old Street on a Saturday night as you have to wear fancy dress, 70s, 80s etc. Always good fun. These are all my old haunts and now I miss London. Have a fab time :wv
Thanks a mill for that NaughtyDaisy! Booked hotel just off Oxford Street, right beside Marble Arch, now I just need to get my head around using the underground! Which market would you prefer, Spitafields or Portabello? Looking into booking a show for the Sunday night, heard best to pick up official discount tickets from Leicester Square on that morning. Friend also recommended this bar looks fab, very trendy but may be worth a drink or two! One last question are you or anyone familiar with getting to City from Gatwick? I'm not sure whether to get National Express Coach only approx €15 return or to get First Capital Connect Train but think these only go to certain stations in London which appear miles away from Marble Arch. Trains seem slightly quicker but may not be worth it if not very direct, either way we'll prob have to get into a cab from whatever station we get to.
NAUGHTYDAISY Posts: 1734
Great, you will be right in the middle of the shops up there at Marble Arch. Have never been to that bar but have heard about it and it looks fab so yeah prob give it a go. Went to Portabello Road Market a few months ago and must admit was not very impressed at all. However it was Easter Sunday so maybe why not so many stalls out. Found they did not have a lot of clothes and mostly a lot of antique jewellery and bits and bobs. I am a huge fan of Spitalfields and spent many a Sunday morning there, plus it is mostly indoors so doesnt matter about the weather. Very close to Brick Lane too if you fancied an Indian for lunch. Whenever I have flown from Gatwick I always took the first Capitol connect from Kings Cross. You could get a tube from there to marble arch but may have to change somewhere. If the coach goes straight to Marble Arch then that my be an option if you have a lot of bags. If not then train and tube it as feel the tube is a huge part of the London experience. Happy shopping and boozing X
jenni_x Posts: 73
definatly recommend oxford st. so you'll only be a skip and hop away from the heavens of shopping O:o)
lunasa2010 Posts: 335
Hi Mrs.Boop I was in London for a short break 2 weeks ago and we stayed in Earl's Court. It was a handyy enough location,however the hotel room was TINY!! As you queried about show tickets, we did exactly as you suggested. We went to Leicester Square on the day and got our tickets for £38 and they're normally £60. We saw Wicked and I'd completely recommend it. I t was amazing!! We got a 3 day tube ticket and it was the best money we spent as it was so handy for hopping on and off the train to get around London and much better than paying for single journeys which would have worked out very dear. If you're planning to travel around the city that's the best bit of advice that I'd give you!Get that ticket. You'll save a fortune in longrun! Enjoy your trip!!
lunasa2010 Posts: 335
Hi Mrs.Boop I was in London for a short break 2 weeks ago and we stayed in Earl's Court. It was a handyy enough location,however the hotel room was TINY!! As you queried about show tickets, we did exactly as you suggested. We went to Leicester Square on the day and got our tickets for £38 and they're normally £60. We saw Wicked and I'd completely recommend it. I t was amazing!! We got a 3 day tube ticket and it was the best money we spent as it was so handy for hopping on and off the train to get around London and much better than paying for single journeys which would have worked out very dear. If you're planning to travel around the city that's the best bit of advice that I'd give you!Get that ticket. You'll save a fortune in longrun! Enjoy your trip!!
Swisschick Posts: 220
Hiya, I went on a shopping trip to London in May, and we stayed in a hotel just off Oxford street (at Langham Place). It was great - we were able to shop and drop the bags back to the hotel, have a lie on the bed and a cup of tea before heading back out to shop again! And it was only a 20 mins or so walk to Leicester Square, so no messing around waiting for taxi or tube on Saturday night. That said though, we weren't out that late - we were so wrecked from the shopping that we just went for a meal and a few drinks and were in bed by 12.30!! On the Friday night we went to see Billy Elliot - throughly recommend it, definitely try and get to see a show. I went to the Ice bar a couple of years ago, and it was great fun. It wasn't my idea - I HATE the cold - but they give you huge fur coats to wear and the whole thing is great fun, we took some really cool photos! Good for something different. We went for an Indian after it - ha! Have a great time!!
originalwoowoo Posts: 867
In June we stayed in the Ramada in Hyde Park and it was excellent. Good value and the bus stop outside the door will drop you to Oxford Street. Tube a few hundred meters down the road. Bus the other way will take you to Westfield Shopping Centre (wow is all I can say about this place!) Right across the road is Kensington Gardens/Palace and you can walk through to Kensington High Street. We went to gigs both nights that were on Oxford Street so really handy, we also went on London Eye and really enjoyed this.
Thanks so much for all your replys! :thnk Looking forward to it all now! :o)ll