Looking for some advice on Holles Street

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mac Snuggles Posts: 4
Hi everyone :wv I don’t normally post but I am looking for some advice and hoping to get some here. I am thinking about changing from SP to Public in Holles Street. I am 8 week gone, I have made a booking in SP clinic but have had no appointments yet nor handed over any money. Has anyone had experience doing this, will they allow me? This is baby #3 for me and both other times I went SP. I had no complaints either time although I didn’t feel like I got anything special from having the same consultant – he spent max 3 mins with me each visit. In fact some concerns I had which turned out to be legitimate he dismissed. I ended up in a 5 person ward and had my own room for labour both times which was great. The fee has increased to 900e this time and I am starting to question what I am actually paying for. I am nervous about tempting faith but I had 2 previous text book deliveries and hoping for the same again. I am due Christmas week so will be hoping to get discharged as soon as they let me. Is it worth paying 900e for 1 night in a 6 person ward when I could get a 9 person ward for free? I would be interested in hearing any experience people have of going public in holles street to help me make my decision? Is the labour ward the same for everyone? Can you do combined care with public? Thanks for your help :thnk MacSnuggles
smurf77 Posts: 2216
Hi I am currently going Public in HS. Last time I went SPC and actually booked SPC this time but then changed my mind due to the increase in fees and alot of soul searching on what my priorities are. I am attending the Midwives clinic in the public clinic and they are amazing. Alot more holistic experience, in my opinion, then seeing the doctors. The only thing to bear in mind is that if you end up having a section it could be five nights and not one. I had a very straight forward VD last time, though did end up in a double labour room (so SPC or not doesnt count in delivery ward!!) so presumed that it would be the same this time. My LO was breech until 2 weeks ago so was thinking oh oh maybe should have gone SPC after all. Baby has turned now so hopefully will be in and out. Best of luck with your decision :wv
Carmcd Posts: 146
Girls I have just read your posts as I am going sp in H Street also... I am in shock as I had no idea there even were DOUBLE DELIVERY ROOMS??? So you mean you actually have to give birth in the same room as another woman and her hubbie? This seems so friggin primitive :eek :eek
Aardvark Posts: 89
[quote="Carmcd":xldwi3sy]Girls I have just read your posts as I am going sp in H Street also... I am in shock as I had no idea there even were DOUBLE DELIVERY ROOMS??? So you mean you actually have to give birth in the same room as another woman and her hubbie? This seems so friggin primitive :eek :eek[/quote:xldwi3sy] I have to say I find this horrific as well! :ooh Is that the same in the other hospitals too? And what about if you go private (I'm not, but just out of interest)? :eek
Daff Posts: 11644
Yeh even if your private once you hit the labour ward you're all treated the same. yes there is one double delviery room but it would be extremely unlikely that you'd deliver your baby with another woman there. Usually when they need to fill this with two women it's women in early labour and then they'll move you to your own room - sure there's even a curtained area in the corridor on the labour ward that I've heard of women giving birth in! If there's no room for you then there's no room unfortunaltey but it's very very rare so try not to worry. Once you're at that stage you won't care anyway :o0 I'm going with midwife clinic this time, I was SP last time. I'm also hoping to go for the EHT this time too, DD was born late Fridya night and I was home for dinner on Saturday. Hoping to be home after 6 hours this time depending on when I deliver etc. If you had a vaginal birth on your first it greatly reduces the chances of a c section on the next. Also it's very common for LO to be breech til the birth on a subsequent pregnancy so try not to worry if it is.
[quote="lovemybaby":rp5v96zb] I'm going with midwife clinic this time, I was SP last time. I'm also hoping to go for the EHT this time too, DD was born late Fridya night and I was home for dinner on Saturday. Hoping to be home after 6 hours this time depending on when I deliver etc. [/quote:rp5v96zb] Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm just wondering how you register for the ETH and can you do that if you're SP? I'd definitely like to do that if I can! :)
Daff Posts: 11644
I did it last time SP. You just tell them when in labour ward and again on the postnatal ward and they'll organise it. once dleivery is straightforward and you're both well they'll do it no bother. Cause Im with MLU this time they'll get involved and push it through quicker for me too wich is great. You need to be in catchment area though, thing there's a map on their website somewhere but it bascially covers south and west dublin and north wicklow.
rouged Posts: 121
Also going public on the midwives clinic and it has been brilliant. There has only been 1 person ahead of me each time I have gone for an appointment and I have seen the same midwife on each visit and they will spend time with you answering any queries. For me, I couldn't justify paying the 900 euro for the chance that I might have less people in the post-natal ward but I will tell you in the next couple of weeks whether I live to regret that decision!!My sister went semi-private and was put into a 5-bed public ward after the birth and then the next day moved to a 5-bed semi-private ward which she said was the exact same as the previous ward!
[quote="rouged":3i3grsf8]Also going public on the midwives clinic and it has been brilliant. There has only been 1 person ahead of me each time I have gone for an appointment and I have seen the same midwife on each visit and they will spend time with you answering any queries. For me, I couldn't justify paying the 900 euro for the chance that I might have less people in the post-natal ward but I will tell you in the next couple of weeks whether I live to regret that decision!!My sister went semi-private and was put into a 5-bed public ward after the birth and then the next day moved to a 5-bed semi-private ward which she said was the exact same as the previous ward![/quote:3i3grsf8] I'm going SP, and I have to say I have been wondering exactly what I'm paying for - and anytime I've had an appointment I've been waiting AGES - like 2 hours minimum! If I'd known more about it when I registered I'd definitely have gone public with the mid-wives clinic - but I was getting so much hassle from my mother and MIL for not going private that I didn't dare go public. I'll definitely be going with the mid-wives clinic next time, especially if everything goes well this time and I get to do the ETH :)
Mac Snuggles Posts: 4
Thanks for the replies everyone :thnk Decision made and I have changed to public. I can’t justify the money – I just hope now that everything goes as well as it has both other times and I don’t regret it. Smurf77 and Rouged, looks like you don’t have long to wait at all – best of luck with everything. I hope you are as lucky as I was with my previous deliveries.