Menu

Looking for unusual or uncommon irish names - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Thanks girls Sorry now I am useless but how do you pronounce: For a girl Nárbflaith?? I am going to run into easons for a look at books tomorrow I think. I have a few irish books and we have a girl's and boy's name we like but I worry they are common. I think harder to pick a name third time around. On DD1 and DD2 we had oen girl name and that was it for each.
Thanks girls Sorry now I am useless but how do you pronounce: For a girl Nárbflaith?? I am going to run into easons for a look at books tomorrow I think. I have a few irish books and we have a girl's and boy's name we like but I worry they are common. I think harder to pick a name third time around. On DD1 and DD2 we had oen girl name and that was it for each.
justwed09 Posts: 2349
my ds little friend is called Aela, theres a fada over the A. i love this name. Also like Roisin, and dara for a boy.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
[quote="little mrs sunshine":sn3lsvj5]Thanks girls Sorry now I am useless but how do you pronounce: For a girl Nárbflaith??[/quote:sn3lsvj5] Its pronounced like Narv-la, it is isn't common, only met one in my life in school!
curliwurli Posts: 3369
for a girl Rèailtìn (sorry fadas are backwards) Muireann Sorcha for a boy Donncha Torloch
mummytime Posts: 3149
I like Muireanna and Doireann. Also like Laoibhse. Perhaps not unusual however relatively uncommon.
John Walsh Guitar
Thanks for all the replies girls and keep them coming. So hard, I just love dd1 and dd2's names and want a name I equally love. I have one name in mind but worry it's common.
DaisyB Posts: 1708
[quote="little mrs sunshine":23nuszdz]Thanks for all the replies girls and keep them coming. So hard, I just love dd1 and dd2's names and want a name I equally love. I have one name in mind but worry it's common.[/quote:23nuszdz] why dont you share the name and we can give our opinion on if we think it is too common and how many we have heard etc.. the only boys name we like i feel is getting very common too its not irish though.. :wv
keyra Posts: 801
I love Sadhbh for a girl, we had this picked for DD before she was born but i let other people talk me out of it as they thought it was too unusual and we ended up calling her a more common irish name. If next baby is a girl she is defo gonna be a Sadhbh. I also like Aoishe for a girl and Muireann. For boys i love Luca, Darragh, Fionn. Good luck, there are so many lovely irish names out there.
BallerinaBride09 Posts: 610
I've got an unusual-ish irish name and it has driven me mad all my life telling people how to pronounce/spell it!! Also, when I lived in the US for a few months as a student I just had to give myself another name as it was just too much hassle otherwise...sorry to be negative, just something to bear in mind before you choose a name that most Irish people would have difficulty with!