Menu

Looking for unusual or uncommon irish names - Page 3

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bolababy Posts: 706
Muireann, Donnacha, oisín, Úna, Ríona, Clodagh, Cormac , Cathal, Setanta, Malachaí, Finnian. I would definitely chose a name that people have heard of before.
Sybil Fawlty Posts: 1541
Uachtar-Reoite for a boy or Mealbhacan (fada on the 3rd a) for a girl. :innocent: [size=50:1zfytxkh]Sorry. Couldn't help it.[/size:1zfytxkh]
digsy Posts: 1257
[quote="BallerinaBride09":1zzhp8nw]I've got an unusual-ish irish name and it has driven me mad all my life telling people how to pronounce/spell it!! Also, when I lived in the US for a few months as a student I just had to give myself another name as it was just too much hassle otherwise...sorry to be negative, just something to bear in mind before you choose a name that most Irish people would have difficulty with![/quote:1zzhp8nw] I have to agree with this one. We have named DD an irish name that is not difficult to pronounce or spell and we are still looking at options if we have a second DD. Have picked a DS name. My name is very difficult to spell and pronounce (especially abroad) so i swore i would never do this to my own children!
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
[quote="Sybil Fawlty":4qb3ipob]Uachtar-Reoite for a boy or Mealbhacan (fada on the 3rd a) for a girl. :innocent: [size=50:4qb3ipob]Sorry. Couldn't help it.[/size:4qb3ipob][/quote:4qb3ipob] You're so bold!!! :o0
Daisywall Posts: 577
[quote="Sybil Fawlty":2fwph5us]Uachtar-Reoite for a boy or Mealbhacan (fada on the 3rd a) for a girl. :innocent: [size=50:2fwph5us]Sorry. Couldn't help it.[/size:2fwph5us][/quote:2fwph5us] hahahahahhah :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 ha hahahahaahahahahha :o0 :o0 :o0 haha [b:2fwph5us]I like these Irish names for girls:[/b:2fwph5us]Beibhinn or Beibheann Blathnáid Aine Aida Fáinne BUT I have to say there are a lot of others that are more common that I prefer!) [b:2fwph5us] and for boys:[/b:2fwph5us] Donnach Donnacha Aedain Cathal Aodh Feidhlim (this is my fave but DH thinks Im mad!) It's pronounced: Fay-lim
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Some great names there!!! My two ladies have unusual irish names. LMS PM me if you want them!!! I also have one and to be honest even though i am asked a bit how tosay it etc and when i was travelling people had a bit of trouble this never ever bothered me. My own opinion is that we shouldn't worry about whether people can spell or pronounce our names. I bet French or Polish or other nationalities don't worry about whether people in other countries can pronounce their names!!! We are finished our family but if we were having more here are some i love Boys Muiris Macdara Rua Ruaidhrí Girls Béibhinn Réaltann Sibéal Éimhín Méiní Be very careful with spellings if you want an irish name as they are often spelled wrongly for the pronouciation. FOr example someone mentioned Aoishe. I haven't heard of this but the 'h' would not need to be in there in irish. [quote:3hdpjoi7]Shiofra, Caoilfinn pronounced kaylin...for girls [/quote:3hdpjoi7] Also, here Síofra doesn't need a 'h' in Irish, and Caoilfinn would be Kee-lin with a soft 'c', it's not 'kay'. It's a bit like Caoimhe.
John Walsh Guitar
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Also, Aela is a fab name but it's not Irish, but Scottish. In Irish i think it may be spelled Éile.
Hoping42 Posts: 536
[quote="digsy":146lbu0q][quote="BallerinaBride09":146lbu0q]I've got an unusual-ish irish name and it has driven me mad all my life telling people how to pronounce/spell it!! Also, when I lived in the US for a few months as a student I just had to give myself another name as it was just too much hassle otherwise...sorry to be negative, just something to bear in mind before you choose a name that most Irish people would have difficulty with![/quote:146lbu0q] I have to agree with this one. We have named DD an irish name that is not difficult to pronounce or spell and we are still looking at options if we have a second DD. Have picked a DS name. My name is very difficult to spell and pronounce (especially abroad) so i swore i would never do this to my own children![/quote:146lbu0q] Unfortunately I have to agree with this also. I love Irish names and the Irish language but peoples difficulty with pronouncing/spelling my name (and really its not that uncommon) drove me mad, especially when I was in school. Like it really drove me crackers. Probably why I chose the shortest and simplest name ever to spell for my little lady :o0
Babogbeag Posts: 1057
Saw an article in the paper the other day nothing to do with names; renovating a house; anyhoo; picture of the family in the article. Has to be the [b:swmwkfu3]most [/b:swmwkfu3] unusual name for a girl: 3 year old girl Buí (yellow) Twins about a 10 mths Liath and Blake. Think Liath = grey.
Daisywall Posts: 577
Flóra (meaning flora and fauna) Cara (meanign friend) Think these are also very pretty girls names