Menu

Looking for unusual or uncommon irish names - Page 4

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

martinis Posts: 31
Gobnait Beibhinn Cáit, Naoise, Odhrán Piaras Naoise Tadhg Hope this helps!
martinis Posts: 31
http://www.lorrainequirke.com/irishnames/
mommy bear Posts: 289
[/quote]Also, here Síofra doesn't need a 'h' in Irish, and Caoilfinn would be Kee-lin with a soft 'c', it's not 'kay'. It's a bit like Caoimhe.[/quote] I think this depends on the dialect, I know a girl called Caoilfhionn and she pronounces it Quail-een, but I know someone else whose name is Keelin who always pronounced Caoilfhionn as Keelin. Donnacha Ronan Saoirse Aisling (not very unusual but maybe not as common anymore)
SookieStackhouse Posts: 3135
I also knew a woman who named her DD Aoibheann but pronounced E-van. Think that's a lovely way to pronounce that name.
mamalicious Posts: 255
Lots of irish names on OH side and some I like below not all unusual though; Liadán Aoife Niamh Seona Meave Aoibheann (pronounced eevan) Sorcha Ciara Cian Ruán/Ruadhan Niall Love Sadhbh - put like other poster got negative reactions and stupidly listened - next time!! OH used to work with a girl called Siún (she pronounced it shoon) Best of luck deciding :)
Blackbird Posts: 5135
Silini, never heard of Méiní, how do you pronounce it? Is it like may-nee? We have one Irish and one English name so we could go either way next time. Picking names is so hard. I have an Irish name that is not hugely common but not unusual either so people are very familiar with it but I ALWAYS have to spell it and it's totally beyond foreigners but it has never bothered me. I just spell it without people even asking, it's easier.
Service Finder
Veruca-Salt Posts: 1542
Some lovely names to choose from there! Most of my favourite Irish names aren't particularly uncommon, but I have a fairly uncommon Irish name and it never bothers me having to pronounce or spell or it for people :wv . I think we are going to wait until we find out whether we are having a boy or a girl before we start looking at names, can't wait :o)ll . Goodluck with the search :wv .
Momof2 Posts: 3884
Sorry for hijack Veruca did you get your BFP? Congratulations :o)ll
Silini2 Posts: 3834
[quote:3a66dcvg]I think this depends on the dialect, I know a girl called Caoilfhionn and she pronounces it Quail-een, but I know someone else whose name is Keelin who always pronounced Caoilfhionn as Keelin. [/quote:3a66dcvg] THe second prounciation is the right one here. This 'Q' sound in the first pronounciation is often used for names like Caoimhe etc but no it's not actually right in any dialect. It's just a common mispronouciation that you often hear. Probably because it is difficult for people to use the softer 'C' sound. Also that first pronouciation is pretty but it's not right in Irish. that 'een' sound would never be spelled 'fhionn'. There would have to be a 'fada' on the 'i'. I know i'm being really pernickety, but if people are using irish names, i think it's worth making sure you have the right spelling for the pronounciation you want. Also Naoise is a fab name but it's not for both boys and girls. Its a boys name that has for some reason recently been used with girls as well. I guess that mightn't bother some people tho!!!! Mamalicious they are lovely names!!! Another good book is one by Diarmuid O Muirithe. Here is the link: http://www.eason.ie/books/9780717140084 S
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
To me it's all about the spelling in a name. I picked two different ways of spelling our girls names, there are a few ways of spelling them. Our surname too is long, 8characters, songs longer when spoken so I like the shorter name. Some lovely names there. Silini how do you pronounce Éimhín Méiní I pm'd you too.