Menu

Looking for unusual or uncommon irish names - Page 5

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Silini2 Posts: 3834
Here is a link to a similar post a couple years ago. It has some lovely names there too. People got a bit cross with my for being so pernickety, but here it is anyway!!: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=185101&hilit=irish&start=45
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Looks like I was the same on DD2 aswell haha and I love her name now
JT Posts: 397
Love Liadan (think it means grey lady?? and there's a fada somewhere) and Schira - both for girls. Called my son Caolan (fada on last a) but now every second boy seems to be called that!
Little miss sunshine, Méiní - may nee Éimhín - ay veen JT Schira is DEF not Irish.... one similar though is Síofra?? Maybe it's that one?? Not sure... Your son's name is lovely!
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
Silini - I for one would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge - would hate to give a child a name and mispronounce it. Just a question on Siofra - I always thought this was a girls name but in that Collins book I put up a link a link to it says it's a boys name (Irish for Geoffry). Was also confused about Naoise as I thought this was a girls name although there is now a little boy coming to my mums and toddlers group with this name. Also I know a male Eibhin - is this a boys or girls name or can it be either? Isn't Aoibheann pronounced very similarily - is it the same name just male and female or am I totally wrong. Sorry my Irish is crap - would love to be better at it.
Hi silini, It's my sister's name so I'm fairly sure I've got it right :) but the spelling must have been deirished. I know locally there's a st scire primary school so maybe that's the correct spelling ?
Service Finder
Hi PG Naoise is 100% definitely a boys name. Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naoise Its is just used recently for girls as well for some reason. Síofra is in my baby name book as a girl's name. The meaning is given as 'changeling child' so i guess it could be a boy's name too. Names dont really translate as such, but there is a link below with different 'translations' of geoffrey, they do sound like Síofra but are not the same: http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/tr ... 28275.html Yes Éimhín is both a girls and a boys name, according to my book. It means roughly 'little saint'. As for Aoibheann, no the pronounciation is totally different. It's eev-inn. It's hard to describe the pronounciation in Donegal Irish but again it would not be pronounced the same as Éimhín. I think if you want the sound ay-veen you would need to spell it Éimhín. THe Aoibh sound sounds just like the name Eve, not Ayve. Think of the name Aoife, which of course is ee-fa not ay-fa. JT yes think you are right think the spelling must have become anglicised or something, I have never heard this name before, but you wouldn't get an 'sch' together like this at all in Irish. No disrespect at all to her name obviously!!! How is it pronounced, like she-re? Or ski-re? It's really beautiful anyway.
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
Most females in my family have Irish names. Aoife Sinead or Sineadh Niamh Sadhbh Ciara Bronagh Aislinn Caragh or Cara Aileen Clodagh Mairead Brigid Caitlinn Colleen Dara (male or female) Eimear Grainne Edain (Aideen) Blanaid Roisin I only know older people with these names and I think the more people try and pick uncommon names this is how a name becomes popular again. If you love a name then go with it, I would take it as a compliment to the name if I knew at least 1 other with the same name.
We pronounce it sheer-a but I think the school is pronounced like skeer- a but I could be wrong
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
Thanks Silini. Another one we have on the list for a girl is Brianna.