Menu

Looking for unusual or uncommon irish names - Page 6

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

loz04 Posts: 225
DD1 has an Irish name, spelt the Irish way but people always spell it the English way. Will prob annoy her a bit when she is older but I have the same problem with my name and it never really bothered me. But now to totally contradict myself when DD3 was born we were spelling it the Irish way and in the hopsital she was in special care and not one person could say her name, so DH got his way and we changed to a more common spelling it still is an Irish/ Scotish name! One of nicest names i heard for a girl was Daiden I think it is lovely!
brideeee Posts: 1490
I have a friend who called her baby Siomha (pronounced Shee-va) I really like it xx b
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
my friend's baby has a very unusual Irish Name with a crazy long spelling that looks nothing like how the name sounds, six months on I am still calling him "the baby" and before she calls over the whole family keeps saying the name over and over again to make sure we get it right. So maybe be careful how unusual you want and the spelling of the name.
Veruca-Salt Posts: 1542
[quote="NearlyMumof2":9fxbmyh2]Sorry for hijack Veruca did you get your BFP? Congratulations :o)ll[/quote:9fxbmyh2] I did indeed :-8 , thanks so much :thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Síomha that's lovely i never heard that before. Ceola, someone mentioned, that is just beautiful. I like Cadhla (ky-la) too but maybe it sounds a bit too much like kylie!!!!
Daisywall Posts: 577
Síne (pronounced "Sheena"), think it's gorgeous! Is Daiden "Day-den, or Day-deen or some other pronounciation? very nice too!
FUNtastic cornerstone
wideeyed Posts: 254
LastRolo Posts: 6892
Girl Doireann Caitlinn Clodagh Aoibhinn Caoimhe Ailin Eibhlin Boys Turlough Donncha Fionan Fionn
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
Doireann and Beibhinn are my top two for girls! Also not a huge fan of Sadhbh (only coz had a friend with that name who was taunted with being called 'sieve' when we were kids!) but I adore Sadhbhín.
Veruca-Salt Posts: 1542
[quote="Giant Underpants":3pghwnrc]Doireann and Beibhinn are my top two for girls! Also not a huge fan of Sadhbh (only coz had a friend with that name who was taunted with being called 'sieve' when we were kids!) but I adore Sadhbhín.[/quote:3pghwnrc] Sadhbhín :lvs :lvs :lvs :lvs , I love Beibhinn and Doireann too, but I might be biased ;o) .