Menu

Looking for unusual or uncommon irish names - Page 7

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

angelellie Posts: 231
Fav irish names are: Kíla (Kee-la) Keelin Tiernan Ruaun (think I've spelt this wrong though)
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I love Saidhbhín too!!!! We did a story in school with this name in it and i've loved it every since. There would no 'k' as such in Irish. It would be 'c'. Keelin I think is an anglicised version of Caoilfhionn??? Ruadhán or Ruán would be the spelling you want for the last one. Love that one too!!!!
lilygrace Posts: 195
Can Keelan be a boys name too - sorry may have spelling wrong...
DaisyB Posts: 1708
[quote="lilygrace":2nke78yb]Can Keelan be a boys name too - sorry may have spelling wrong...[/quote:2nke78yb] yes..i know two little boys who were given that name recently :)
mummytime Posts: 3149
Love this thread. Makes me broody. Saidhbhín - so cute. wouldn't pick though as not sure it suits an adult as well.
hartley Posts: 826
Definitely be careful of giving your child a mad complicated Irish name that looks nothing like the pronounication. Both myself and DH have them and have spend our whole life spelling them out which I hate hate hate. People assume we are from a gaeltacht area which we ar not and we both work for US companies which makes it hard. When I was travelling Oz I changed my name as it was just easier…… so be careful. Your child may not thank you for the funny sneachta/cabaiste names……..
John Walsh Guitar
lux Posts: 6270
[quote="hartley":13hyszjc]Definitely be careful of giving your child a mad complicated Irish name that looks nothing like the pronounication. Both myself and DH have them and have spend our whole life spelling them out which I hate hate hate. People assume we are from a gaeltacht area which we ar not and we both work for US companies which makes it hard. When I was travelling Oz I changed my name as it was just easier…… so be careful. Your child may not thank you for the funny sneachta/cabaiste names……..[/quote:13hyszjc] Can't say how much I agree with this post! A lot of the "Irish" names are dreadful. I have a different spelling of my first name. Its a common Irish name but my parents decided to be "different" (they were a bit rebellious when they had me) and its a pain in the bum. I have to spell it every time I make a phone inquiry, official documents (our registrar spelt it wrong when we registered our intent) are often incorrect and I always get comments on it. At this stage I put up with having it spelled incorrectly 95% of the time if its not important. I'm never going to give my kids an Irish name, particularly one that's "unusual".
BallerinaBride09 Posts: 610
[quote="lux":276bvcuq][quote="hartley":276bvcuq]Definitely be careful of giving your child a mad complicated Irish name that looks nothing like the pronounication. Both myself and DH have them and have spend our whole life spelling them out which I hate hate hate. People assume we are from a gaeltacht area which we ar not and we both work for US companies which makes it hard. When I was travelling Oz I changed my name as it was just easier…… so be careful. Your child may not thank you for the funny sneachta/cabaiste names……..[/quote:276bvcuq] Can't say how much I agree with this post! A lot of the "Irish" names are dreadful. I have a different spelling of my first name. Its a common Irish name but my parents decided to be "different" (they were a bit rebellious when they had me) and its a pain in the bum. I have to spell it every time I make a phone inquiry, official documents (our registrar spelt it wrong when we registered our intent) are often incorrect and I always get comments on it. At this stage I put up with having it spelled incorrectly 95% of the time if its not important. I'm never going to give my kids an Irish name, particularly one that's "unusual".[/quote:276bvcuq] If you pick a name like Saidhbhín or Caoilfhionn you are condemning your child to a lifetime of having to spell it out, tell people how to pronounce it, and correct their misuse of it! The very fact that there have been misspellings, use of letters that don't exist in the irish language and disagreements over spellings over this thread only backs this up. Some people may think this isn't a big deal, but those of us who have been through it beg to differ! Just another side of the coin ladies.
Bm10 Posts: 296
We're looking at Bláthín for a girl and Raghnall or Donagh for a boy. On a lighter note I have that book Pigeonwife has and I came across a couple of very uncommon Irish names KERMIT & MARMADUKE I kid you not, Kermit is a form of McDermot and I forget what the origins of Marmaduke was but my DH wasnt too impressed when I texted him and told him I wanted Kermit :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Good one BM10!!!!!! I have to say i have found the opposite with my name. Its a fairly unusual irish one which i often have to repeat and spell. Its never bothered me at all to have to do this. I'm proud of it. Just another opinion about irish names. DD1's irish name, though unusual, is very easy to say and spell for anyone. DD2's is easy enough to say but is spelled the irish way. She'll maybe kill me as a teenager but sure they do that no matter what you call them!!!!!!!