Loosing Weight for Wedding Day...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

paperclips Posts: 3146
I was just reading something in Old Faithful regarding wedding dress sizes. There seems to be alot of brides who diet and want to loose weight for their wedding day. Just wondering why girls are so motivated to loose weight for their wedding day? Do you keep the weight off or when the wedding is over does the diet go out the window and you go back to your old ways! Is it really important to some brides to fit into a smaller dress? I commend anyone who wants to loose weight and feel healthier and better about themselves but I've seen so many girls loose weight for their wedding day, look like half the person they were before their wedding and six months later they look nothing like they did on their wedding day. I know girls who have done major diets in the run up to their wedding, exercising non stop, eating very little, living a miserable existence just so they can look good for one day and then pile back on the weight on honeymoon. Why bother in the first place?
Rogue User Posts: 6101
[quote="paperclips":1rzdj03w] I know girls who have done major diets in the run up to their wedding, exercising non stop, eating very little, living a miserable existence just so they can look good for one day and then pile back on the weight on honeymoon. Why bother in the first place?[/quote:1rzdj03w] I dieted before my wedding - but you don't have to be so extreme. I just ate healthier and exercised more. I felt great on my wedding day - so fit and healthy. So it wasn't just about how I looked but also how I felt. But you are right about the ditching the diet after the wedding thing! I went mad on my honeymoon and ate everything in sight! Back on track now though and I generally am a healthy eater, I just feel better when I am exercising and eating well.
Jawl Posts: 8881
I was 4 stone over weight for my height, now I'm 2.5 stone overweight for my height. If I was at my ideal weight I'd be gaunt and ill looking, I honestly would. So I did have weight to lose, and having to wear a wedding dress was the motivation it took for me to do something about it. I'm eating really healthy, cut out all rubbish with the rare slip up, holidays etc. And I'm exercising a lot. I feel great and from the comments I'm receiving, I must look better too. When I tried on my wedding dress I remember looking in the mirror and thinking "Jeeez, I'm like a wrestler with those arms and being so top heavy". And there and then I vowed to lose weight. To feel better in my dress. Ideally I'd like to lose another stone before Christmas and the wedding. I promised myself that I'll be very lenient on honeymoon and eat what I fancy, but I feel so much better with the weight gone, that I know I'll get straight back into it once I go back to work after the wedding. So yes, I have/will lose weight before my wedding. Sometimes you just need a real motivation factor. And what better motivation?
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
For me the wedding day is an excuse/something to aim for. I gained a huge amount of weight recently when my medication for my thyroid wasn't quite enough. 5 stone in 3 months to be exact and the docs were very worried that I would have a stroke. I have lost 2 stone but its very very slow going due to my issues. I need that "something" to help me shed the rest. I don't need to get it all off by then and I don't expect to, its just handy to have something to work towards if that makes sense. Its a life long battle for me and sometimes its very frustrating to reach your target and then have a "blip" with the thyroid. I do love my food as well but I also genuinely enjoy exercise and walk a few miles each day to stay fit. I want to be able to look at mself in the mirror in my wedding dress and be able to know that I did everything I could to look as well as I could on that day - and hopefully stay like that.....
BusyDee Posts: 8527
I think what a lot of brides dont realise is that the sizing on most wedding dresses is mental! I was a 16 in dresses but my wedding dress was sized as a 20! I didnt care because it fitted me perfectly - only had to get it taken up. I didnt care that it was marked a 20 coz I knew I was not a 20 in other clothes! I did lose a stone about 8 months before the wedding (could have done with losing 2 more!) but due to an injury I couldnt excersise so the weight loss stopped but at least I didnt put it on. I was always the right weight for my height up till a few years ago so I know I dont look gaunt at my ideal weight. In the end I was happy on the day though as my dress complimented my shape etc
[quote:9kk9c11b]I think what a lot of brides dont realise is that the sizing on most wedding dresses is mental! I was a 16 in dresses but my wedding dress was sized as a 20! I didnt care because it fitted me perfectly - only had to get it taken up. I didnt care that it was marked a 20 coz I knew I was not a 20 in other clothes! [/quote:9kk9c11b] Exactly, I was an 18 when I was fitted for my dress, and my dress ordered is a size 22. I don't care that it is, once it fits me and I am comfy is all I care about. The lady in the shop said she cuts the size tag out of all dresses when they arrive, as she doesn't want brides obsessing about the size tag, she feels how it fits is more important. She does ask each bride though if they want to know the size or not when she's ordering it. I did, because I wanted peace of mind that it wouldn't be too small :o0
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
I wanted to lose 3 stone for my wedding, and started in January this year. I'd like to lose 5 stone in total- I am very overweight. Anyway, 3 stone is not going to happen, unless I have a limb removed in next 3 weeks. I'll probably have reached 2 stone off though, which I will be happy with. I intend to get back on track after the honeymoon- although I know it will be easy to slip back into my old habits over the winter. OH and I have a lot of changes going on this year, and we've decided that we want to be healthier. So while the wedding is an incentive, the aim is for long term fitness. It should be a no-brainer, I mean I feel a million times better if I eat healthily. You'd think that would be enough to keep me on track!
ott Posts: 3920
I didn't try to loose weight for our wedding day, but as it happens I lost 2lbs the week before so I was slightly thinner than I normally was. Then on honeymoon I put on 6lbs, which I still haven't lost since. O:| Anyhow, my point is, maybe a lot of brides overeat on honeymoon, whether they lose weight before the wedding or not? (I wouldn't normally put on weight on holidays, I would be quite disciplined.)
Actually I set myself a target of 2 stone for the wedding and worry about the rest after the wedding, as I didn't want to put myself under too much pressure to get rid of the whole lot in one go really quickly. I knew I'd be starving myself and really be really miserable and stressed out. I've 15 weeks to lose 7lbs if I want to reach that 2 stone target. But realistically with this diet and exercise I should manage at least one pound a week, so at the very least, I'll have lost 2 and a half stone. I'll be happy with that. If i got to my ideal weight I'd need a new dress! :o0 But it's a work in progress as far as I'm concerned.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
Most brides are more conscious of their appearance/weight in the run up to their wedding. I think it's the fact the photos will be the enduring image of the day and they want to look the best they can and usually that means losing weight or toning up. It's also a pain to be a plus size and bride and have difficulties with sizes. I'm sure most women are under no illusions about their size but it is brought into focus when wedding dress shopping as usually your clothes aren't so tailored. Wedding dresses are so tailored and with many designers you have to go up a size or two. Weddings and wedding dress shopping can bring cosmetic 'flaws' sharply into focus.