loosing weight while pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wobbler Posts: 300
did any of you try to loose weight while you were pregnant? i am about 2 stone overweight and i would loose it by eating healthy. can you do this while you are pregnat? is it safe?
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I'm not too sure whether they advise it to be honest some women are so sick at the start they loose weight but gain later on. To be honest I feel its the only time in your life when you can properly enjoy what foods you want and when you want them,maybe depriving yourself of what you want would make you worse? Also I switched low fat cheese, slimline milk and 0% yogurts to full fat to get the extra benefits so that was additions without much thought hth
Idina Posts: 1289
I am over weight (more than you) and I was told under no circumstance to try and lose weight that there would be plenty of time after the baby comes. Saying that I am probably eating a lot more healthy than before I was pregnant. I have put on approx 14 lbs at this stage and the nurse said yesterday that was perfectly fine.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Oh yeah..im overweight and was at the start,I was a smoker but gave up so food in general has been my craving throughout,weight gain has never been an issue in the hospital at all with me...I dont pay any attention but can guarantee its about 4 stone so far I reckon I dont own a weighing scales.
winterbride 06 Posts: 246
its not advised at all to loose weight while expecting. Enjoy the time and dont be worrying about weight. There will be lots of time after the birth to loose any weight.
Idina Posts: 1289
Mama Dora-you're Gas! I doubt you have put on 4 stone!
Topolino Posts: 1659
I agree with the girls. You absolutely shouldn't try to lose weight whilst pregnant. I don't own a weighing scales either but at the doctors last week they weighed me and I think I've put on almost three stone. I don't feel like it at all as I've no fat on me, just the bump so it must be all there. I couldn't care less though. I'm eating what I want, when I want. Plenty of time afterwards for losing weight, if you want/need to.
vonnyoc Posts: 2688
I think its o.k under a GP's care. I saw this program once where a woman had to loose weight as she was diabetic and was eating all the wrong food. as long as she lost fat and not the baby weight she was fine she actually looked great. just eat good food and not rubbish and you'll naturally slim down. you should try and walk if your up to it
swissgirl Posts: 2301
I agree as well - all the books say you shouldnt try to lose any weight at all - wait till post baby. A very good friend of mine was overweight (by about 3 stone) when she got pregnant. During her pregnancy she forgot about weight loss and ate healthily and gained a "normal amount" of pregnancy weight. Anyways after the baby was born she lost the pregnancy weight AND another stone fell off to boot! She was so thrilled - she reckons that being pregnant made her start eating properly and that she had changed her eating habits over the 9 months so much so that post baby the results really showed! x sg
originalwoowoo Posts: 867
I lost weight whilst pregnant, but did not try. In fact before DS was born I weighted less than before, including his weight. I am overweight and it was never going to do me any harm and the GP knew I was in good health. What happened was I had no interest in food and really just ate as I had to, I am a real foodie but was not bothered. In fact one week I lived on strawberries and toast. I also think the lack of booze helped!