Losing hope.........

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Annie78 Posts: 1
Im a newcomer to this website, got married 4 months ago to my best friend. Moved back to Ireland from England where i was working as a teacher. Since returning to N.I i have been unable to get a job (any job!!) am slowly going insane, living right next door to new in laws, MIL nearly drove me to a mental institution with her on average 3 or 4 daily visits, no knocking or shouting a warning, she just barges on in. Had to fight with dh to lock me in when hes going out to work! thankfully she now has a bit of a distraction so for the last week or so shes really slackened off. but no doubt it will return again with avengance. Husband wont say a word against his darling mum, apron strings not yet cut! Spent last week applying for 7 jobs, most of which i am qualified to do, many i am overqualified. Was devastated to get a rejection letter today, am hoping its not the first of many! O:| O:| Feel like since we got married we have had no luck, feel guilty as hubbie constantly has to be my prop, bottom line is we are just about surviving, we have a huge mortgage and need 2 wages. We are dying to have kids but cant til i get a job! Went to see a careers counsellor last week, who advised me that due to the lack of teaching jobs in north, to accept anything, go through a recruitment agency, temp etc. I know the option to sub is available to me, but i want a full time PERMANENT job, subbing has no long term future. Think i have to get out of this balck hole that is teaching! Feel so downhearted, am 29 next birthday, time is rolling on and everyone elses lives are progressing! will things get better?!
Kate26 Posts: 82
I think that once you find your job everything will get better, I understand what you are going through with the MIL mine visits almost every second night and just walks in to my house , its very frustrating, I know you dont want to sub...but even if you did it for a while till you found something more permanent? at least it would get you out of the house and away from MIL ,
stockbroking bride Posts: 2642
Start subing if you can - first, it will get you out of the house and away from MIL, secondly, you will start to get to know the principals of the schools in the region, thirdly, your experience will stay current and finally it will help (even a little bit) financially. Also sign up for temp agencies it will help with numbers 1 and 4 above and you never know you may gain additional experience that you can use along with your teaching skills. You might also look into giving freelance grinds in the subjects you teach or sign up to volunteer for an adult literacy program. The most important thing is to break out of the little rutt you seem to have found yourself it. HTH SBB
eppi Posts: 171
Think I would take a temp job, not ideal I know but at least it would get you out of the house and back into a better frame of mind. Makes all the other stuff easier to deal with then.
Elliecat Posts: 2725
[quote="stockbroking bride":20sa3fsg]Start subing if you can - first, it will get you out of the house and away from MIL, secondly, you will start to get to know the principals of the schools in the region, thirdly, your experience will stay current and finally it will help (even a little bit) financially. [/quote:20sa3fsg] Totally agree with SBB, you need to get out there - in NI its not what you know its who you know, no matter what sector you're in. I have a friend who came back from England having been head of department in a large London school, it has taken her three years to get a longterm (still not permanent) job, she wasn't even looking for head of dept, just a regulalr teaching post, and that was only because she had been subbing in the school and had gotten to know the teachers and prinicpal really well.