Losing will to live cos of Restless Legs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happilymarried2010 Posts: 493
Is anyone else suffering from this awful dose of a complaint? i dont get to sleep til 2/3am because of Restless Leg syndrome, am up every 2 mins walking around the house trying to ease the dirty horrible crawling feeling inside both my legs & crying with exhaustion (sound like mad woman i know but that pretty much sums me up right now) :o( I'm 32 wks pg & feel hungover in work each day cos of it!!! drink a litre of Tonic Water as recommended by GP & eat bananas too but NOTHING is working :o( does anyone have any other ideas pleeeeeeeeeease??????
HarmattanRose Posts: 1444
happilymarried. I've suffered with restless legs for years, though not quite as bad as yours sounds. I've never heard of the tonic water for RL have heard of it for cramps but not RL, same with the bananas. Have you tried just taking some paracetamol? I find that it is sometimes just enough to take the edge off. Also you could try rubbing some aloe vera gel into your legs. I find just something cooling on the legs helps too. There are tablets around now specifically for RL syndrome but I doubt any of them are suitable whilst pregnant. Hope you get some relief soon.
LittlePudding Posts: 42
Oh god you poor thing. Completely understand what you're going through as I had this on my last pregnancy - up all night, thought I was going to go mad. This might sound crazy but at the time my mum said to me that i'd been wearing flat shoes too much and that as i had always worn higher heels that I should get back into heels as it could be affecting the circulation in my legs, and better posture would keep babs off every nerve going to the lower half of my body. I took her advice thinking she's nuts but willing to give it a go and within 24 hours of high heels I was much much better and able to sleep again. I don't know if this is much help to you. I really hope you find some relief soon.
spanish mum Posts: 2468
[quote="HarmattanRose":uwd8t629]I've never heard of the tonic water for RL have heard of it for cramps but not RL, same with the bananas. [/quote:uwd8t629] Tonic water is supposed to be good for RL syndrome because of the Quinine in it.
star sun 1 Posts: 1456
Hi girls, Im suffering from the exact same thing and its just horrible, i get very little sleep each night due to it :o( . Im also 32 weeks pregnant.
HarmattanRose Posts: 1444
[quote="Spanish Mum":2psgc7a0][quote="HarmattanRose":2psgc7a0]I've never heard of the tonic water for RL have heard of it for cramps but not RL, same with the bananas. [/quote:2psgc7a0] Tonic water is supposed to be good for RL syndrome because of the Quinine in it.[/quote:2psgc7a0] I know about the quinine but have only heard of it for cramps not RL. Also you have to be careful with quinine in pregnancy.
spanish mum Posts: 2468
[quote="HarmattanRose":3u1gnnoq]I know about the quinine but have only heard of it for cramps not RL. Also you have to be careful with quinine in pregnancy.[/quote:3u1gnnoq] The amount of quinine in tonic water is less than 100mg per litre of tonic water. It's in Pregnancy Category D because in high doses it's been shown to cause foetal abnormalities. However, in food substances (such as tonic water) it is generally recognised as safe.
Its Me Posts: 1788
This might sound mad but a friend of mine suffered with this earlier on in the year and she googled everything possible out of desperation she tried the only google option she had not tried and that was to put a bar of soap (not Dove - dont ask me why) under the sheet at night. I only remember this coz we all laughed about it as it was so bizarre but alas it worked
BabyDreams Posts: 211
Hey there. Am over in TTC but had to reply here. Get that restless legs the odd time and so does my mam and I went into a nature shop and bought magnesium tablets. They are the only thing that work for me. If I feel it coming on I take 2 tabs and within 10 mins its gone. You might need to check how magnesium affects pregnancy but hope it works for you too.
rosiemama Posts: 3363
i don't suffer from this but one of my friends did quite badly during the last few months of her pregnancy, she went to her GP and they recommended support stockings (kind of like the flight socks you get if you're going abroad) to wear during the daytime. She also said it helped if she got some exercise during the day, so went for a short walk or something, and then in the evening she had a warm bath and put her feet up for an hour or so before going to bed. She also used to put a pillow under her lower legs in bed.