Lots and lots of confusion....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

05bride Posts: 314
Hello, Can I please ask a few questions I'm confused about. The 1st day of my last AF was July 6th but (sorry tmi) we didn't DTD until 20th so that is the earliest date that I could be pregnant, yet when I use due date calculator they tell me I'm 5 weeks. Also just rang and booked an appointment with gynae there and receptionist also calculated based on 6th July and told me I am in my 5th week. I haven't been to my GP yet as cannot get an appointment until Thursday but wondering what my due date might be is doing my head in! Am I 5 weeks or 3 weeks? Does this mean that pregnancy is actually only 38 weeks if they always count from AF arrival date? Also, just got my gynae appointment and I will be 14 weeks when I have it. Do they scan you that day also? I forgot to ask! Is it ok to tell people your news before you've seen the gynae? I have no symptoms and I'd prefer to see something before telling people. Also maybe I'll be showing at 14 weeks and won't be able to hide it. Still cannot believe it's for real. :o)ll
Jeidi Posts: 3128
sorry can't be too sure but I just wanted to say Congrats! Isn't it a brilliant feeling? :o)ll :o)ll
SaJa Posts: 4282
Pregnancy is calculated as being 40 weeks from the date of your last af or 38 weeks from conception (if you are completely sure of your dates etc.) so both dates are right IYKWIM. Your edd will always be calculated from the date of your last af, so you are 5 weeks pg.
under construction Posts: 3458
I was the same, there was 7 days in the difference between the calculated date using my first day of last af and the date they gave me when they did my scan. (God hope that made sense) My waters went on the day they gave me, so i presume they were closer. You may well be also given a different date when you are scanned, Anyway congratulations, wishing you a very happy and healthy pregnancy
alton Posts: 3077
Only doctors could come up with a system of dating pregnancy that counts the baby as 2 weeks old at the time of conception. And that's only the beginning of the weirdness!!! Congratulations.....and wishing you a healthy and happy 9 months
05bride Posts: 314
thank you all for your replies. It makes a lot more sense to me now. they have a strange way of calculating it all the same! Got an appointment with my GP tomorrow so I'm sure she will answer all of my other tons of questions. thanks again and good luck to you all :wv