Lotus Birth ?????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Finished here Posts: 2860
Has anyone heard of this or is anyone interested in it. I just read an article about it and am curious. Basically the theory is that cutting the cord too soon can cut of the surge of blood flow that happens after you give birth so with lotus birth you allow the placenta to fall of natural - it can take a couple of days !
Pumpernickle Posts: 206
Eh....I don't think so:-8 :-8 :-8
Bridezilla07 Posts: 2237
Yeah, I read about this for this first time in Tracy Donegan's book 'The Better Birth Book'. The baby remains attached to the placenta until the cord naturally seperates which could take up to ten days. So basically, you're at home with your sparkling new baby and lump of meat attached to them. Each to their own but this one ain't for me!
candyfloss Posts: 704
OH MY GOD I never heard of this. It's hilarious. Fat Frog are you thinking of doing it?? Will the hospital allow it?? Would you tuck it into his nappy?? I'd be sick looking at it. Sorry I guess it just wouldnt be for me. But I'll have to look it up, it's very interesting all these theories, I wonder if there's any evidence behind it.
I know it is a different one and i know its def not for everyone but i would consider it if i felt sure the benefits for baby would be good. One of the stories i read the mum wrapped the placenta in a nappy and salted it and put lavender drops on it so hopefully you could be descrete about it but of course my ever optimistic self convinces me it would only take about 48 hours for it to break off :o0 :o0 this is the same self that tells me that labour [size=150:2g0g5t4l][b:2g0g5t4l]will be [/b:2g0g5t4l][/size:2g0g5t4l] enjoyable :o)ll :o)ll
candyfloss Posts: 704
I was reading another post about getting babies to stop crying and Tracy Donegan replied, maybe you could ask her about Lotus as she's written about it in her book. It's better to be optimistic, the hormones will make labour all rosey once we have our lovely babies....but until they come out!!!! It'll be all curses and swearing for me. Lol.
Duncelt Posts: 460
Dr. Peter Boylan (who is based in Holles Street) said in a radio show that the placenta is to benefit the baby inside the womb and has no specific physiological purpose outside of the womb.
Hi Duncelt, I understand that the placenta has no purpose outside the womb my query is at what stage the blood flow stops i need to find out a little more about it and may check with Tracey what she knows (pity Dr. Boylan isn't a wolly :o0 ) Bridezilla would you recommend Tracey's book, I love reading her posts here and i bought the gentle birthing programme and hope to use this !
Bridezilla07 Posts: 2237
Hi Fat Frog! I would recommend Tracy's book - it was the first one I bought before I even got pregnant. It gives some interesting facts and figures for Irish hospitals and does make you think about the natural side of things a little more. Take care Zilla07
Thanks Zilla, I will check it out and really look forward to reading more about the natural side of birth ! I am discovering a whold new me during this pregnancy that i didn't know existed i am reading everything from the Dunstan Programme, to baby signing and baby wearing to lotus birth :o0 but i am loving every minute of it !