Menu

low egg reserve and ivf

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrscormican Posts: 262
Hi all, would love to hear from anyone that on treatment for above .
McDaisy Posts: 917
Hi Mrscormican Sorry you havent had replies! How low is your reserve/AMH? My follicle count was on the low side of average I think but my AMH was low for my age (around 10 at 37 years old). For our IVF cycle my response was slow and at times looked like it wouldnt be good enough but I still managed 5 mature eggs and ended up with 2 Day 3 embies to transfer, and one stuck around and is 10 months old today! We're hoping to try for No2 but Im dreading having AMH tested again, as I know it wont be good, and certainly fear having a poor response if we cycle again.
Bootsie Posts: 448
I've just had my repeat AMH result of 12.1 at age 33.. it was 13.4 a couple of months ago. Two different labs so maybe thats the difference.. The clinic are pushing us to start ICSI sooner rather than later... Terrified!! Just keep thinking that its so much money for no guarantee and once we start down this road how will we know where to stop if its unsuccessful.. We had thought we would leave it until January to do IVF but the way they are taking we should be doing it in my next cycle starting in 3 weeks.. anyone have any experience with this? At the moment we are with Cork Fertility clinic
McDaisy Posts: 917
How long have you been trying bootsie?Have you tried any other treatments? Low AMH alone is not a reason to go straight to ICSI (I also had two different results from 2 different labs - 10 and 14!) For us the decision to do IVF was because we had tried a number of other options, had been trying 2 years and my age.... so we had time to come around to the idea. We were also with CFC and were lucky to have success first time with IVF. (My AMH was lower than yours and we had tried some ovulation induction and a couple of IUIs, which helped me prepare for what IVF would be like) On the plus side of all the treatments you can have IVF does have the best odds (much better than IUI!), and especially in the under 35s. However you're still young enough in assisted fertility terms! Ceratinly there's no need to rush into it, and its important to be in the right frame of mind going through it.
Lizzie02 Posts: 2624
My AMH was 1.7 in January 2012. We were recommended IVF but given a very low chance of it even working. We conceived naturally in February 2012 and with the right support medication (I was on steroids for anti-nuclear antibodies), I gave birth to a little boy in November 2012. I conceived naturally again in September 2014 and had a little girl in May 2015. Thank to acupuncture both times I reckon. AMH is often a measure of quantity not quality.
Thanks so much for the replies. They are so reassuring! They recommended it becase DH has a low sperm count. After tonnes of research though its only sub optimal at 13million.. not terrible! we've been trying for a year now and they are pushing us a bit because they had said that our chances with IVF will be lower the older I get and the more my AMH drops. I asked to speak to Dr Waterstone and we talked through it all with him..he said we could wait until after christmas and not to worry about the slight drop in AMH which is a tonne more reassuring than the nurse! I am so glad to hear of someone having success first time.. and also someone getting there naturally.. we are still giving it our best shot over the next few months and really fingers crossed. I think if we get to jan and still nothing then we will think about the next step. Because of the lower count and morphology they have said IUI is a no go and that ICSI is the only one worth doing but i guess at least then we know what to go forward with if we have to. Was your experience with CFC a good one?
John Walsh Guitar
mrscormican Posts: 262
My amh is 1.1 . I'm only 33 . Waiting for opp to remove endo b4 starting my treatment for ivf . I'm so scared . We only have enough money for one go
mrscormican.. it is terrifying really isn't it. And the financial side of it is just terrible. It shouldn't be this costly. We are trying for another couple of months and then going for ivf if it doesn't work in january. It feels like such a scary thing right now. At least know you aren't alone at all.. you have a lot of support on here x
suitcase of hopes and dreams Posts: 2932
Hi ladies Hope ye don't mind me butting in. We had to go down the IVF/ICSI route due to male factor issues and very luckily have a 5yr old from our 1st go and currently 34 weeks pregnant now after another positive cycle. I'll be honest its not easy but is also very doable. I know the thoughts of IVF is very frightening but the best advice I ever got was take it one day at a time. Cost is also a huge factor too so might be worth thinking about going abroad, we used Gennet in Prague for our last cycle and cant speak highly enough about them at a fraction of the price. They have a new package too for irish patients working alongside Babyscan in swords/rathgar so might be worth looking at too. Wishing ye all the luck in the world ladies :babydust: :stork: :babydust: :stork: :babydust: :stork: :babydust:
Ummmm..... Just peed on a stick and got this!!!