low iron in first trimester or normal tiredness?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
I have been so wrecked this week. I think it's been my worst week so far. Not complaining but just wondered is it possible to have low iron in the first trimester or is this just part of the tiredness that goes with pregnancy? I've been very tired since I found out but this week the tiredness has almost gotten on top of me. I've gone straight home from work, lay on the couch and then gone to bed by 8.30/9. I'm still shattered when I wake up. I've gone off vegetables in a big way and don't eat a lot of meat (maybe once a week at most). I'm wondering could my iron be low at this early stage or is this just what everyone else experiences. By the time I had gotten ready for work this morning I had to lie down again for a few minutes. already planning if I might be able to go out to my car for a nap over lunch!
babybrain Posts: 592
hey sunnyside, I think this is pretty normal. If your iron levels were ok in the bloods your GP did, then they should still be alright throughout your first trimester. I think the fatigue is just part of it. If you think about what's going on in your body 24/7, it would explain why you are so tired..it's working like crazy at the moment. I thought at times during my first trimester that I was actually dying. The tiredness is like nothing I have ever experienced before..it's totally dehabilitating. The good news...it does pass!!! I thought it never would but like all the crap from the first trimester...it does go away and your energy does come back and you will feel semi-normal again I swear :o0 If you are overly worried though, maybe it's worth a visit to your GP.
I haven't had any bloods done yet- is that bad? Should I have? Nobody said anything about bloods. I've an appointment at my gp's antenatal clinic on may 1 but I'll be 16 weeks by then. hopefully I'll feel better in another couple of weeks. thanks babybrain.
babybrain Posts: 592
usually what happens is when you go to your GP to get your pregnancy confirmed, they take your bloods to check all your iron levels, vitamin levels etc. Then you take those blood results with your when you go to the hospital or to your consultant. It might be worth giving your GP a ring to see if you need to get this done, cos I know the hospital looked for my blood results and a letter of referral from my doc. It might differ from hospital to hospital though? hope this helps :wv ps: week 15 was my magic week when all the nausea and tiredness went away completely, I hardly know myself now :o0 hopefully it ends soon for you too
I suspect they don't do them here (north) until that 16 week visit. I'll look forward to week 15 and get back to you if I'm not full of beans :o0 :o0
jellybaby Posts: 2316
sunnyside, my GP hasn't taken blood at either of my firt appts (with either pregnancy). It's always done at the first hospital appointment. As for the tiredness, it's completely normal, and not necessarily because of iron levels. I remember the firsttrimester tiredness with my first pregnancy - it's like no tiredness you've ever experienced before!! :o0 I used to go to bed at 9pm every night, and stay in bed as long as possible in the morning - at the weekends I'd nearly have slept 12 hours. When I finally had my iron levels tested, they were at 11, which was within the normal range (I think 10 or under is low). Unfortunately, there has been no 'magic week' for me either with DD, or this time round. The tiredness is always there :o(. But some days are better than others so I just try to make the most of those. Just try to rest as much as possible. HTH
Blackbird Posts: 5135
I was the same as you sunnyside, couldn't eat meat or veg. I can now though so your appetite will come back. I've been taking a pregnancy multivitamin - pronatal. It has iron in it but not as much as an iron only supplement (which can be a bit harsh anyway). Would you try that? I asked my consultant at the last visit if I needed to take iron and he said my levels were fine although to be honest I don't remember it ever being checked! Obviously it was and I just didn't realise. So my levels are fine but sometimes the tiredness is still unreal.
thanks girls. It really is the most horrible feeling ever. Even when I'm lying down resting it's like I can still feel it just hanging over me. I keep telling myself that on the really tired days that some really important part of the baby is developing and it needs all my energy. I felt great sunday and monday so thought it had gone but its back with a vengance. roll on hometime and my lovely bed *)
silíní Posts: 4219
[quote:34spi7al]thanks girls. It really is the most horrible feeling ever. Even when I'm lying down resting it's like I can still feel it just hanging over me. I keep telling myself that on the really tired days that some really important part of the baby is developing and it needs all my energy. I felt great sunday and monday so thought it had gone but its back with a vengance. roll on hometime and my lovely bed [/quote:34spi7al] Sunnyside i totally relate to that, i was so tired in my first trimester, i had literally NEVER experienced the like. I couldnt stand in queues in shops, i had to sit on the ground, i'd say people thought i was a loony... It was horriffic. Anyway, it turned out I was low on iron, i got it tested at about 8 weeks and i was low, but doc told me not to take iron until 13 weeks as it would make the morning sickness worse. So i'd say get your GP to do some bloods anyway....................... You poor thing i really feel for you. but as some of the other girls said, IT WILL PASS.... just try to rest as much as you can.... S