low lying anterior placenta

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

octbride2007 Posts: 774
Ladies, I just found out I have a low lying anterior placenta? Has anyone experienced this and what happened. Am trying not to scare myself reading stuff on the internet...anyone help??
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Hi octbride, if you do a search on low lying placenta on here it will show lots of results. Afaik it happens to alot of women & it's nothing to worry about.
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
At 20 weeks, my placenta was still low lying but the consultant wasn't overly worried. From here on in, the womb will be growing rapidly, the placenta is attached to the top half and the bottom half grows, so essentially the placenta "moves up" the wall of the womb. At my next scan after that, it had moved up and it was no longer a worry. It's something that they will keep an eye on in future scans, but in most cases it does move up. If not, and you have placenta previa at full term, it will mean that you will have to have a c-section as the placenta would block the birth canal for the baby. If it's completely over the birth canal in later pregnancy, you may be put on bed rest for the remained of your pregnancy, but that's normally only in severe cases. HTH!
chigli Posts: 266
Don't be worried - I was told that too & was brought in for another scan at 34 weeks and it was fine. Only 1 in 200 of those with low-lying placenta at 20 weeks will actually have it at the end. A c-section would then be required but you would know this in advance
octbride2007 Posts: 774
Thanks guys...feel a lot better now :wv