Hi all, Has any one been diagnoised with a low lying placenta? Or have you had a section in the past due to this problem.
Just out of hospital after a 3 night stay due to a bleed - my placenta hasnt moved from 20 week scan - now 29 weeks.
Have been told a natural delivery is very unlikely - and I'll prob be sectioned around 38 weeks. My placenta is also anterior which makes it a little more complicated.
Any advice or feedback appreacited.
p.s I'm not overly worried - would love to hear of some past experiences
cant help you but try not to worry, I too have a low lying placenta, had it at 20 weeks and again at last scan, Im 27 weeks now.
It could still move some people have had theirs move in week 36!
Thanks Mrs Positive, fingers crossed it will move out of the way before D Day. Would love to know if anyone has given birth naturaly after being told they had low placenta?
Dr of love
I dont have this but 2 good friends have had sections for this reason in the past. All I know is that they were booked in for a c-section a week before due date. I'm not sure when the last check to see if it has moved would be but if it is now very low, I would think they will not be happy to let you go naturally unless it has moved away significantly.
The big plus is if you are a planned section you can start to make plans! Knowing your section date is a hell of a lot better than going through a long labour sometime between 38 and 42 weeks, and ending up with a section anyway. Sorry I can't give you details on when they will make the final decision on whether to section you or not, maybe call the midwife and ask that, I'm sure there is a standard policy on it.
I think its one of these things that there is nothing you can do about and is not your fault so if it ends up decided that its a c-section, you should embrace the pros that come with that! At this point, in both my antenatal class and in the January babies group, there are quite a few girls who now have their section dates for various reasons and part of me is a bit envious of them!
hey Dr of Love I know what you mean! I've been very nervous about the birth and considered an elective c section, however I am now listening like mad to gentle birthing cds to bring myself around. Having said all that my placenta is also low lying and if it stays that way the decision will be made for me, I think Id like this the best that the decision be taken out of my hands, there are pros and cons of course to both methods of delivery but it would be lovely to know the date your baby will be in your arms, even though the recovery will be harder etc.
thanks for the reply mama2e hope it helps you too x
Anne Cordelia Shirley
Hi, I had a low lying placenta at my 20 week scan and had a full second anomaly scan at 34 weeks, have you been booked for a rescan? The placenta had moved at that stage, but baby was breech so I ended up with a section at 39 weeks anyway! Most doctors will try to let you go as far as possible if its safe to do so, you'll just need to be extra careful if there's any bleeding or the movement of baby changes at all. There are pros and cons to a section, but having had one with a very good recovery I'd be open to a second one, its nice to know that you're going to have your baby on a certain day and there's no drama of waters breaking and rushing to hospital.
glad all went well for you Anne, its great to hear positive c section stories If I need to go down that route.
Anne Cordelia Shirley
It wasn't plain sailing and I have some cons to live with but overall it worked out brilliantly. If you've any questions feel free to PM me.