Lower back pain - help/advice ???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Finished here Posts: 2860
Girls, I have a very bad back the past few days and it only seems to be getting worse. It started off like muscular spasms which i have had before but now it is constant and kind of still spasming or with darts of pain but again constant. It is only in my lower back and even sitting straight or standing is painful. The pg book says that back pain at this stage is normal but i am a little worried about the little lad - do you think i should go to the doctor ?
snowbear Posts: 2107
Hey FF - see Woodstock's post on lower back pain below for lots of replies to a smiliar problem. If it's any help I went to doc and he said excercise is the key... but if you're worried of course you should have a chat with your own GP HTH
silíní Posts: 4219
I had this a lot in the 2nd half of my preg, i bought a good back support and used it when driving and sitting for long periods. I found swimming fantastic, and pregnancy yoga really helped too.
Thanks Girls, Ill check out the other post. I do lots of walking and also do pregnancy yoga its just that this feels more like an injury than directly to do with the pg as it came on suddenly and is constant :o(
candyfloss Posts: 704
Hi Fat Frog, I'm a physio (and pregnant too) and low back pain is really common, it's due to the relaxin hormone loosening your ligaments and muscles, it affects all of your body. If it came on suddenly do you remember what you were doing? You're right it might be more of an injury but maybe from something really simple that you've done everyday and because of your pregnancy now maybe it's like the last straw if you know what I mean. Try using a heat pack or hot water bottle on your back to see if it relieves the pain for you. Some very gentle lower back exercises may help (see below), and dont do any sit-up type movements eg when getting out of bed, roll onto your side first and push up with your arms. [b:3adaid03]If you can find a womens health physio in your area they can do a full assessment or even a general physio would do[/b:3adaid03] and they may be able to provide a back support if it's necessary. But in the mean time try these exercises, they're very gentle so wont damage anything. And they're the ones I do if I have back pain. 1.Pelvic tilt Lie on your back with your knees bent. In this relaxed position, the small of your back will not be touching the floor. Tighten your abdominal muscles so that the small of your back presses flat against the floor. Hold for five seconds then relax. Repeat three times and gradually build to 10 repetitions. 2. Knee Rolling In the same position as above(on your back with your knees bent) , gently roll your knees to the left for 5 secs and then to the right for 5 secs. Repeat by 10. 3. Knees-to-chest Lie on your back with both legs straight. Use your hands to bring one knee up to your chest. Hold for five seconds and repeat five times. Repeat exercise on other leg.
mooky Posts: 1501
hi Fatfrog I had that last week and you're probably right - it being an injury. My pain was isolated to my lower back on the left side. its alot better now after yoga on tuesday night. I reckon it was a pulled muscle (they say you can pull the muscles alot easier during pregnancy). I said it to yoga teacher and she reckoned because it was isolated to the one spot, it probably indeed was a pulled muscle.. do your yoga stretches and give it a few days and it may loosen up.
Girls, Thanks for the advice and Candyfloss the exercise tips. When the pain came on, it was literally when i was on the way home on train so i wasn't doing anything specific just standing there ! It came on, on Wednesday evening and i had my pregnancy yoga the previous evening but also last friday i was coming off the bus and the steps were wet and i slipped off the last step while holding onto the hand rail. I didn't feel anything after this but could i have hurt it then ??????
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Great advice. I am only 5 weeks & 2 days gone but I have had lower back pain since I tested positive. Relieved to hear that it's normal
candyfloss Posts: 704
Did you actually fall when you slipped on the steps? The pregnancy yoga may have stirred it up slightly and when you stand on a train you have to use your postural muscles to counteract the sway of the train. If you strain a muscle it may not become painful for about 24 hrs, which might be why it came on the next day after yoga when you were challenging your muscle. But if you've actually had a fall I would definitely get it checked out by a physio to make sure you havent done any other damage.
Thanks for your reply Candyfloss, I didn't actually fall because thankfully i was holding the rail i just slipped from the last step onto the ground and didn't feel any tugs in my back or belly - it gave me an awful fright thou and i caught my side on the end of the bus door and gave myself a little bruise from the door - i was so upset too thinking i could have hurt the baby it was because the steps were wet O:| The train is a nuisance becuase i get it in and out of work everyday and it is becoming more tiring and difficult as i progress, thankfully i am not too heavy yet and have only gained a few pounds but its impossible to get a seat - the other morning i must have looked awful and a guy that was also standing made someone get up and give me a seat :-8