Menu

Lucena Clinic, Rathgar

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

she Posts: 3298
Girls, My self and h2b went today for our first assessment on our 6 year old boy. Having did a special needs course and worked in the area I sort of had an incling on what was going on. We always new their was something with our boy but couldn't quiet put our finger on it, he's not a "bold" Child, more can't stay easy and goes around as if he's a Duracell battery up his ass.........Also get very obesessed with certain toys and films, to the extent that he knows EVERYTHING about them. We were firstly referred by the school as it was them that noticed his restlessness. Just want to say that I'm really happy we went. They definately think there's something there but in a mild form, could be a mix of ADHD, Aspergers Syndrome etc. Obviously have to go for more evaluations. Just if anyone is referred and has any questions about what they ask they can pm me as I was very worried about going this morning and hopefully I may be able put someone elses mind at ease. :wv
Mrs.slightly bonkers Posts: 3289
Hi she. I know where you are coming from,I have a six year old also. And only a few weeks we found out he had type 1 diabetes my nerves went because of the unknown.Like your son he was all over the place bouncing(high sugars)cranky moany and we could not fingure out what was wrong. I hope you find out soon whats up.Its such a relief when you can understand why they are doing the things they do,And you can help. Its still a confusing and scary time and i think with anyone who has a kid attending docs or hospital for any condition,Its nice to hear that someone else is going through something similar(meaning the tumoil of it all).And understands that some people just know what to say at the right times. And it need not be scary once you can have a chat.
yummymumm Posts: 824
Hi, I havent been refered to the clinic, but be interested to get my ds reviewed. How did you get your referral? My Ds in almost 4 and in montessori, his teacher is loosing patience with him because he just can sit still, he too isnt being bold but just needs to be involved with everything thats going on, you could be talking to him telling him what to do but he seems to be in his own world. He too is obsessed with dvds and likes to watch the same ones over and over again. Is this like your ds?
she Posts: 3298
[quote="yummymumm":2fx2l8f3]Hi, I havent been refered to the clinic, but be interested to get my ds reviewed. How did you get your referral? My Ds in almost 4 and in montessori, his teacher is loosing patience with him because he just can sit still, he too isnt being bold but just needs to be involved with everything thats going on, you could be talking to him telling him what to do but he seems to be in his own world. He too is obsessed with dvds and likes to watch the same ones over and over again. Is this like your ds?[/quote:2fx2l8f3] The school called us in, in June and told us their concerns. We'd noticed stuff ourselves and also when he was in creche it was the same as your fella. Always the one to be in the corner for not sitting down or doing the opposite to all the other Children. The school sent on a referall letter and then we got a letter back saying that they no longer take school referalls, so we went to our GP and he wrote one and we got a place for assessment. We were told it could take a year to get a call but we got it within 5 weeks. BTW your discription of your son is exactly how I would discribe mine. By 2 totally obsessed with Thomas The Tank Engine and to the fact that he knew every one of those engines, even though there's about 60 of them. Would only look at Thomas DVD's, the same ones over and over again. Now he has a few, Starwars, Yugioh, Indianna Jones, but he knows everything about them. The only thing is I don't think anywhere will even look at the Children until their at least 5. Even if you look up some sites on the internet, you may come accross some information. But if you ever just need to talk you know where I am. Sometimes it can get quite frustrating........ :wv