Lunch Party menu ideas? As opposed to dinner party!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Emme Posts: 4735
Hey, sick of doing lasagne and enchilada's when I have people over. Don't want to do a full roast so any ideas ? Something where I won't be cooking for yonks so nice and simple please!!
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
Made this for lunch recently and it was yum. We were having people over and wanted a light (ish) lunch Rachel Allens Smoked Salmon Leek and Potato pie. Just googled it for the recipe and it's not available online :eek It's potatoes sliced approx 0.5cm thick, leeks, smoked salmon, garlic and cream. You layer potatoes, leek and smoked salmon strips (& garlic), potatoes, leek and smoked salmon strips (& garlic) and top with potatoes. Pour over cream (maybe add parmesean) and bake for approx 90 minutes. It's really yummy, if you want the recipe let me know and I'll give you the quantities and method- I have the book at home.
hairdye Posts: 1129
How about: Homemade quiche with salad A large smoked salmon & prawn salad with homemade brown bread Tomato, buffalo mozzarella & pesto tart with a salad Stuffed and baked peppers, topped with goats cheese with a side salad Homemade pizza, with garlic bread and salad Risotto Posh steak sandwich (ciabatta, rocket, sundried tomatoes, homemade mayo) Homemade fish cakes with a salad Pasta bake with - yes, you've guessed it! - a salad Hmmm, that's my brain wracked for now, can't think of any more ideas! I know you don't want to do a roast, but sometimes I do a roast chicken, slice it up and do a buffet style lunch. So I put the sliced chicken on the table, with some brown bread and a few different type salads in bowls. The Avoca cookery books have some great salad ideas. Hope I may have given you a little inspiration!
hairdye Posts: 1129
Actually forget all my ideas, they are crap. Just read MinnietheMinx's recipe and it sounds DIVINE! Im actually drooling here, it sounds so yum! Which book is it from Minnie, I have some of Rachels cookery books?
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
I suggest salad and bread too. Easy to prepare and guests can have as much/little as they want. Chicken caesar (no anchovies!) salad is my favourite!
Butttons Posts: 812
What about a pot of chilli with rice/wedges/nachos ?
nelswife Posts: 3869
Yeah i was going to suggest something like a quiche and salad or chicken and mushroom vol u vaunts (sp) with a baby leaf salad, maybe mini pizzas, chicken wings, Maybe do burger sliders, skewers, chicken satay on skewers, Make up some platters with a selection of any above, or with wedges, chicken gougans, cocktail sausages, onion rings, sausage rolls,
nelswife Posts: 3869
Yeah i was going to suggest something like a quiche and salad or chicken and mushroom vol u vaunts (sp) with a baby leaf salad, maybe mini pizzas, chicken wings, Maybe do burger sliders, skewers, chicken satay on skewers, Make up some platters with a selection of any above, or with wedges, chicken gougans, cocktail sausages, onion rings, sausage rolls,
Dot Cotton Posts: 1298
[quote="hairdye":2rbp4102]How about: Homemade quiche with salad A large smoked salmon & prawn salad with homemade brown bread Tomato, buffalo mozzarella & pesto tart with a salad Stuffed and baked peppers, topped with goats cheese with a side salad Homemade pizza, with garlic bread and salad Risotto Posh steak sandwich (ciabatta, rocket, sundried tomatoes, homemade mayo) Homemade fish cakes with a salad Pasta bake with - yes, you've guessed it! - a salad Hmmm, that's my brain wracked for now, can't think of any more ideas! I know you don't want to do a roast, but sometimes I do a roast chicken, slice it up and do a buffet style lunch. So I put the sliced chicken on the table, with some brown bread and a few different type salads in bowls. The Avoca cookery books have some great salad ideas. Hope I may have given you a little inspiration![/quote:2rbp4102] nom nom nom to ALL of the above :o0
DollyP Posts: 955
[quote="MinnietheMinx":he4hhfnw]Made this for lunch recently and it was yum. We were having people over and wanted a light (ish) lunch Rachel Allens Smoked Salmon Leek and Potato pie. Just googled it for the recipe and it's not available online :eek It's potatoes sliced approx 0.5cm thick, leeks, smoked salmon, garlic and cream. You layer potatoes, leek and smoked salmon strips (& garlic), potatoes, leek and smoked salmon strips (& garlic) and top with potatoes. Pour over cream (maybe add parmesean) and bake for approx 90 minutes. It's really yummy, if you want the recipe let me know and I'll give you the quantities and method- I have the book at home.[/quote:he4hhfnw] I've had this before served with salad. It's delish!!