Lying on your belly

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

maybebebe Posts: 168
When ever I watch telly I throw a cushion on the floor to lie down or when I'm sleeping I lie on my belly but the last week when ever I turn on my belly its really uncomfortable, not painful but just uneazy. Would I do any damage to the baby by lying on it at 9 weeks?
Anon - Please help Posts: 203
I could have written this exact thread....im a belly sleeper and every time I roll onto my belly I automatically wake up and am like Sh*t I hope babs is ok. Can anyone shed any light on this for us?! :thnk
wifin Posts: 4761
What to Expect says nope that you can't cause damage. It will get very uncomfortable and you'll just stop doing it. You shouldn't be lying on your back though. Don't freak out if you wake on your back, just roll over onto your left side. :wv
MummySparrow Posts: 890
Why can't you lie on your back? Does it have to be left side? I always sleep on my right side.
maybebebe Posts: 168
They say left side promotes good blood flow for the bebe and lying on your back doesn't really promote it I think Handbag Q, but sure when I'm asleep I toss and turn every which way
wifin Posts: 4761
Yep left side is said to be best for you both but either side is fine. I alternate between left and right side. I use a pregnancy pillow to keep me on my sides. Baby Centre.com says this about sleeping: [quote:2bc2ifat]Sleeping on your side is best while you're pregnant. In particular, sleeping on your left side may benefit your baby by improving blood flow – and therefore nutrients – to the placenta. It also helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body, which in turn reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands. It's a good idea to start training yourself early in pregnancy to sleep on your left side whenever you can. Of course, staying in one position all night isn't likely to be comfortable, so turning from side to side while favoring your left side is probably the best strategy. As for sleeping on your back, avoid that position throughout pregnancy, especially in the later months. Here's why: When you're sleeping on your back, the weight of your uterus lies on the spine, back muscles, intestines, and major blood vessels. This can lead to muscle aches and pains, hemorrhoids, and impaired circulation, which is uncomfortable for you and can reduce circulation to your baby. Back sleeping can make blood pressure drop, causing some expectant moms to experience dizziness. On the other hand, in some moms-to-be it can make blood pressure go up [/quote:2bc2ifat]
MummySparrow Posts: 890
Thanks for posting that wifin.
papillon Posts: 1305
I think lying on your back is particularly not recommended from about week 14 on. If you can lie comfortably on your back though go for it (physio's advice to antenatal class) I for one cannot lie on my back at all, It just feels wrong. I can actually feel the strain in my organs. belly lying is fine esp is you have one leg propped on a pillow and that pillow can support the bump too.. it's like halfway between side and belly lying