Mad random sexism

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cabbagehead Posts: 3899
I'm having my long-form birth cert officially translated into French for some bureaucratic malarkey this week, and I've just sat down and really read through it for the first time. After getting weirdly emotional seeing the harp and the bits as Gaeilge (as I always do when I look at my passport or driving license... ah the weirdly patriotic life of an ex-pat) I got all affronted on behalf of my mother >:o( A birth cert from the eighties (not sure if it's still the case?) registered the FATHER'S name, the FATHER'S address, the FATHER'S occupation... but only the mother's name! My mother lived in the same house and had a job, why is this not recorded? And what about single women who gave birth? Was there a different form for them to fill out, or did they just leave all the address info blank? Grrr stupid backward country (that I love enough to weep over when I see its emblem anywhere :o0 :o0 :o0 )
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
Yeah mine is like this too - its laughable. I think post 2003 they changed them to include a space for mother's occupation (the [i:11ckb7zh]scandal[/i:11ckb7zh]!) and address. Must ask FSIL if I can see my niece's certificate - she was born in September.
Dollydel Posts: 1726
My biological father wasn't named on my original birth cert so my mothers details are on it but wait until you hear this... My mam got married (not to my biological father) So for me to have the same surname as my mam, she and my step dad had to 'adopt' me. So I have an adoptive birth certificate with my mam and my step dad both adopting me. I wonder if it is still the same now? That was back in the early 90's when my biological mam had to adopt me! O:| So I have two birth certs and I actually have two PPS numbers too.
ott Posts: 3920
[quote="dollydoo":57t0bwv6]My biological father wasn't named on my original birth cert so my mothers details are on it but wait until you hear this... My mam got married (not to my biological father) So for me to have the same surname as my mam, she and my step dad had to 'adopt' me. So I have an adoptive birth certificate with my mam and my step dad both adopting me. I wonder if it is still the same now? That was back in the early 90's when my biological mam had to adopt me! O:| So I have two birth certs and I actually have two PPS numbers too.[/quote:57t0bwv6] That is NUTS! So, if your mum had to adopt you - who was your guardian beforehand? It's crazy!
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I noticed that too on my birth cert; it's mostly the fathers details that are deemed relevant. It's ridiculous. I hope it has changed now.
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
But cabbagehead remember women had to give up work once they got married way back in the day so maybe that's why.
LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="dollydoo":2l3vfxb6]My biological father wasn't named on my original birth cert so my mothers details are on it but wait until you hear this... My mam got married (not to my biological father) So for me to have the same surname as my mam, she and my step dad had to 'adopt' me. So I have an adoptive birth certificate with my mam and my step dad both adopting me. I wonder if it is still the same now? That was back in the early 90's when my biological mam had to adopt me! O:| So I have two birth certs and I actually have two PPS numbers too.[/quote:2l3vfxb6] Yeah I've heard of that. My uncle married a woman (about 10 years ago) who already had a little girl. He had to adopt her so that she would have the same surname. Now she's 19, and she uses her biological dad's surname :duh:
lolabelle Posts: 3311
[quote="cabbagehead":2umqj8z5]After getting weirdly emotional seeing the harp and the bits as Gaeilge (as I always do when I look at my passport or driving license... ah the weirdly patriotic life of an ex-pat) [/quote:2umqj8z5] :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 I thought I was the only expat eejit to do this!!! I get teary eyed when my DH plays Irish Rover :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote="fmh62":3g4blmd6]But cabbagehead remember women had to give up work once they got married way back in the day so maybe that's why.[/quote:3g4blmd6] Exactly and sure no point in asking for the woman's address either as of course you'd be married to the "man of the house". I'm surprise we got a look in at all! Ah it's a man world!!
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Dollydoo that's bananas!! Although on the upside, I'm sure you could lead a lucrative double life with two PPS numbers >:o) (I'm kidding, obv :o0 ) If it's any comfort, a similar-ish thing happened to friends of mine in Germany, and this is only two years ago. My friends are a couple who have been together for YEARS, but who had decided they didn't want to get married (she has very strong feminist views and is anti-marriage in general). So they decided to have a baby anyway, and discovered halfway through the pregnancy that, if they weren't married, the father's name [u:331x5yrh]could not[/u:331x5yrh] legally go onto the birth cert, and that legally, he would have no claim to the child unless they either got married, or he adopted his own son immediately after his birth. And this being Germany, the adoption proceedure was ridiculously long and complicated, and if God forbid anything had happened to his girlfriend before the process was finished, the child would go into the guardianship of the state. So they ended up just giving in and getting married, it was the easiest option. Isn't that nuts?