Make up artist help - sister in law!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

roshingles Posts: 35
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle. My soon to be sister in law is currently in college training to be a make up artist and hair dresser. She has just turned to me and said as her gift, she will do the hair and make up. I love her to bits and I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I really don't think she should do it. It's my special day and she's one of my bridesmaids. I just don't think she's at that standard that we need for a wedding. How do I tell her without hurting her feelings. x
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
Tricky one, maybe tell her you wouldn't be happy putting her under pressure on such a big day, after all she'll need her own hair & make up done too... Or you could say one of the other BMs / your mum has already booked a MUA as a surprise & you didn't know, or something like that...
n.finn2 Posts: 196
I am in the same situation, my sil to be is a make up artist too, she is really wonderful at it aswell, I just wanted her to be able to sit back and enjoy being pampered along with the rest of us. She would have done the make up no problem if I had asked her, but I wouldn't have wanted her to feel as if she had to so I think she is quite happy to have the day off to relax too :) :)
MrsMc2014 Posts: 51
I think you'll just have to be honest with her (as diplomatically as possible obviously!) Your hair and makeup are far too important to put in the hands of a trainee! Could she do yours and the bridal parties mani-pedi/brows etc..anything but hair and make up :-)
Lainey80 Posts: 70
As a make up artist myself I have done make up for close friends for their weddings. While it was lovely to do it and I wouldn't have changed it for the world it is stressful and your left with little to no time to sort yourself out on the morning. Try to be diplomatic about it, maybe say that you'd prefer her to be a guest and ask her to come to your make up trial because you'd value her opinion on it, etc...
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
Why not pay her to do your hair and make up for a night out and if you're happy with it take her up on the offer. If not just say your BM booked them as a surprise or that you don't think she'll have enough time for everyone including herself on the day. Ask her to do mani and pedi instead so she doesn't think that you don't feel she's qualified.
Hbombadero Posts: 1960
I take it you have a few BM and presume your mam will want hair and make up too. There's actually no way one person is going to have time to do all hairs and make ups on the day. I had 3 BM, me and mam and I tried to get one person to do the lot but they all said no way. Having been through it I can safely say there's no way one person can do all hairs and make ups for any more than 2 or maybe 3 people.
secretbridie Posts: 359
There's definitely no time for her to do both! My sister had recently qualified as an MUA before my wedding (that in itself wouldn't put me off - she is AMAZING at her job!) & even though she was my chief BM, she did our make up on the day. She ended up doing her own at stupid o'clock in order to have time to do me, the other BM & my mam. I wouldn't have changed it as there are just the two of us, & I doubt that she would either, but it did put her under pressure and meant that she couldn't enjoy the morning the way she would have otherwise. Could you say that you want her to do both for your hen (assuming she is talented at both!) but that you really just want her to relax and enjoy the wedding morning (feet up & a glass of champagne) with the rest of you, so that you have already someone lined up for that?